School Network Staff Student Support Specialist
About Communities In Schools of Memphis
The mission of Communities In Schools of Memphis (CIS of Memphis) is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. The vision of CIS of Memphis is to strengthen our communities by addressing non-academic barriers to ensure schools have equitable access to services and interventions, empowering students to graduate from high school prepared for post-secondary opportunities. The organization’s core values are passion, diversity, innovation, community and integrity.
At CIS of Memphis, we are “all-in” for kids. It is our passion – it is our mission. At CIS of Memphis, we partner with Shelby County Schools, the Achievement School District, Charter Management Organizations, and Independent Charter Schools, to provide tailored resources and create communities of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life.
Through the implementation of our evidence-based model of Integrated Student Supports, we provide targeted interventions and services by bringing community resources into schools, thus mitigating and eliminating non-academic barriers to student achievement. CIS of Memphis embeds full-time Student Support Specialists in schools to individually case manage students as well as connect the whole school to services. We achieve this mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who have a passion for what we do. Going forward, the organization is preparing to deepen its reach and impact and to thrive amid a resulting period of significant organizational growth.
At CIS of Memphis, we are proud to be an equal-opportunity employer for the benefit of our employees and community.
Brief Job Summary:
The SSS will be responsible for the overall planning, managing, and implementing the Communities In Schools Integrated Student Support Services Program Model at a school-based site. We are looking for passionate individuals who want to work with adults and students in a school environment.
Student Support Specialist Major Duties:
- Coordinate widely-accessible, school-wide services to help address identified needs or to build and reinforce student assets. Additionally, targeted and sustained services will be coordinated and provided at the school site for a caseload of students who are identified as having the greatest risk of eventually dropping out of school. This includes ongoing case management and direct support for students, including goal setting and individual/group sessions and some opportunities for individual, intensive support services.
- Build, lead and/or integrate into an existing support team that works closely with school administrators, staff and teachers in the implementation of the Communities In Schools model, in conjunction with broader school improvement plans already underway. The support team may include school members from across various Shelby County Agencies as well as the school sites and neighborhood community partners. This process will include the building and nurturing of school staff relations, relationships with school and community partners, and the engagement of volunteers for the delivery of services.
- Lead the annual needs assessment process. This process will be based on multiple data sources including data collected by schools as part of overall school improvement initiatives; surveys and discussions with staff, parents and students; and evaluation results from the previous year.
- Develop and implement a school support plan based on the needs assessment. The plan will include measurable objectives, as well as procedures for delivering school-wide services, targeted and sustained services, monitoring and adjusting services, and evaluating and reporting effectiveness.
- Build trusting relationships with students, parents, school staff and partners.
- Obtain consent from parents to provide program support.
- Develop case managed student needs assessments and implement support plans that build on student assets and address barriers to success
- Conduct SEL assessments and groups for case managed students
- Evaluate the effectiveness at achieving school and student individualized goals. The Student Support Specialist will implement the CIS systematic data collection plan to evaluate the effectiveness of services in achieving school-wide goals and individualized student goals. Regular reports will be provided to school and affiliate leadership to guide planning site services for the upcoming and future programming years. The Student Support Specialist will also contribute to affiliate-level reports for local and the Communities In Schools national office.
- Assist with other organizational and project activities as needed.
Successful Candidates possess the following skills and competencies:
- Relationship Builder – Connects with people, builds relationships and creates a strong network. Has passion for, sensitivity to, and strong concern for the needs of children, youth, and their families
- Strong Communicator – Professional verbal and written communication skills, open and honest communication, active listening skills, and a friendly tone in conversation to avoid misunderstandings.
- Positive – Positive attitude, optimistic, champion company values cooperate with and collaborate with others.
- Confident – Has self-confidence that instills sureness. Is influential to gain trust.
- Trustworthy – Possesses the integrity and determination to work both independently and as a member of a team, willingly asks for help when needed.
- Goal-Oriented – Is curious about best practices in integrated student services and persistent in adapting and adjusting CIS programs as new trends emerge.
- Motivated – Intrinsically and internally driven to put forth the necessary effort and action towards work-related activities and responsibilities.
- Student Centered Support – Has experience with social and emotional learning, school-level attendance and behavior improvement strategies and student-centered supports
- Trauma Informed – Applies basic child and adolescent development principles utilizing a trauma-informed lens
- Data-Driven – Uses data to make strategic decisions based on data analysis and interpretation.
- Problem solver – Can identify needs/wants/problems. Ability to handle difficult or unexpected situations and find solutions to complex business challenges.
- Proactive – Ability to anticipate challenges/problems, take control of a situation and prepare for the solution ahead of time. Forward thinking, planning and preparing for what lies ahead.
- Manages Time Well – Exercises conscious control over time spent on activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency.
- Prioritizes Efforts – Able to determine the level of importance and urgency of a task or event.
- Bachelors in Social Work, Counseling/Psychology, Youth Development or Education, with a preference for Masters level Social Work or Counseling/Psychology degree
- Demonstrated relevant work or volunteer experience in education, social services, mental health or a related field desired
- Knowledge of the CIS philosophy, process, history, and network a plus
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
- Competitive Salary Range for the position: 43k – 46k
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k with Employer Matching)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
Target Hire Date: May 2023