Teacher Summer 2019 Reading Teacher
DREAM (formerly Harlem RBI), an award-winning youth development program, is seeking dynamic teachers to work in our nationally recognized summer program for elementary school youth. DREAM’s summer REAL Kids program offers a unique and supportive environment focused on enhancing youth engagement in reading and learning while building life skills in nutrition and fitness, critical thinking, teambuilding and leadership.
The program offers a supportive teaching environment that fosters creativity and innovation. Class sizes are small (maximum of 18-22 students) and every teacher works with two to three college students who aspire to work in education, youth development or social work. Primary responsibilities include:
- Leading a centers based literacy workshop for two hours four days a week designed to maintain or improve youth reading levels (Readers Workshop);
- Developing youth enthusiasm and confidence in reading;
- Designing lesson plans and implementing projects according to the REAL Kids curriculum which is designed to foster character values including, but not limited to, respect, effort, and teamwork;
- Supporting activities designed to foster better communication and social skills during Team Clubhouse, four days a week;
- Leading off-site field trips to pre-arranged destinations in New York City, one day per week;
- Working with youth in positive and creative ways that encourage good sportsmanship and teamwork;
- Ensuring child safety and agreeing to file a report if any injury or risk-behavior is observed;
- Coaching 2 group leaders to ensure that they are invested and involved in classroom activities. Teachers will meet with group leaders once a week.
- At least 2 years of lead classroom teaching experience (required);
- State or city certification and an M.A. in Education (preferred);
- Believe in the promise and potential of urban youth;
- Understanding of youth development as it relates to education;
- Ability to take initiative and maintain flexibility;
- Interest or knowledge of baseball/softball (preferred);
- Deep embodiment of DREAM’s organizational values of teamwork, diversity, integrity and fun.
Monday-Thursday, 8am-1pm and Fridays, 9am-3pm with an additional hour of planning TBD.
The REAL Kids summer program will operate from July 1 to August 9, 2019 and begins with additional training and planning in mid-June. There will be no program July 4th & 5th in observance of the holiday;
The program offers highly competitive compensation.
How to ApplyPlease apply here : http://careers.wearedream.org/careers/position/summer-2019-reading-teachers-east-harlem-the-south-bronx-east-harlem-the-south-bronx or email Margie at firstname.lastname@example.org
1193 total views, 1 today