Teacher Teachers (K-12, All Subjects)
In July 2019, Compass Community Schools will open six high-quality charter schools (five elementary and one middle/high) in the Memphis communities of Binghampton, Berclair, Frayser, Hickory Hill, Midtown, and Orange Mound. We will focus intently on three pillars – academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community – as we prepare our students for college and life-long success.
Our vision is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s ideal of education: “Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” This true education – provided within a supportive, joyful, and hopeful school culture – will prepare our students to be positive agents of change in our communities.
Compass Community Schools seeks founding teachers in all grade levels (K-12) and subject areas for the 2019-20 school year. We seek teachers who know their content backwards and forwards and are passionate about preparing Memphis youth academically and in character for college and life-long success. Our teachers will enjoy and benefit from our intentionally small school settings, which will help them to develop trusting, positive relationships with their students and colleagues.
• Support and contribute to a school-wide focus on three pillars: academic excellence, values-based character education, and service learning in the community.
• Claim ownership of the privilege and responsibility to ensure high levels of student learning.
• Establish a supportive, joyful, and hopeful classroom culture that has high expectations for students’ individual and collective success.
• Consistently teach with purpose, clarity, and urgency.
• Carefully monitor data regarding student progress and make necessary instructional adjustments to ensure student success.
• Communicate regularly with families as partners in the education of their children.
• Welcome opportunities to develop professionally.
• Affinity with, and passion for, the compelling vision of Compass Community Schools
• Strong content knowledge
• Driving commitment to advance student learning
• Ability to lead students toward a joyful and productive learning environment
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with ability to build productive relationships with students and colleagues
• Desire to work hard in a balanced, extended school calendar
• Utmost personal and professional integrity
• Tennessee teaching licensing or eligibility to obtain one
What We Offer
• Mission-driven, joyful, respectful working environments
• Intentionally small school settings
• Opportunity to positively impact the lives of Memphis youth
• Competitive compensation and benefits package