Teacher Upper School (5th-8th) Math Teacher
Stone Creek Charter School (SCCS) is a K-8 independent charter school that creates a collaborative learning environment that challenges and supports students. We cultivate relationships with students as look to “develop the mind, excite the spirit, and change the world.” The thoughts reflected in this description provide the structure to the responsibilities and accountabilities for this position. Stone Creek Charter School expects to employ professionals who will work beyond job descriptions, creating both fulfilling career environment and very successful outcomes for our students. Values we hold high are: trustworthiness, honesty diligence, open communication, fairness, and politeness, and we expect to see them evidenced in our staff, parents, and students.
The Upper School Teacher is responsible for the education of each pupil in his or her charge and for working with students, parents, other teachers and staff toward achieving the goals set forth in the Stone Creek Mission Statement. The Teacher reports to the leadership team at SCCS
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for conducting an organized and professional classroom:
- Develops and implements curriculum, communicates the curriculum in a syllabus, and completes it it in the given timeframe according to curriculum guidelines specified by Stone Creek Charter School.
- Implements curriculum and instruction in a manner consistent with Stone Creek Charter School’s Mission Statement, including understanding, modeling and fostering independent thinking skills, creative problem-solving and abstract reasoning. Shows empathy and understanding of students. Shares ideas and observations with students and parents.
- Develops with parents and students a cooperative partnership based on mutual respect and objectivity:
- Assesses student performance frequently and objectively
- Facilitates resolution of problems that might arise with students and parents
- Holds parent/student/teacher conferences in a manner consistent with Stone Creek Charter School’s Handbook.
- Continues intellectual and professional development and pursues further education in primary academic discipline.
- May provide leadership to select extracurricular school activities, act as teacher liaison to select committees.
- Follows policies established by the Stone Creek Charter School Board of Directors, Charter School Institute, and Colorado State mandated guidelines, except where Stone Creek Charter School has received waivers.
- Other duties assigned.
This position does have supervisory responsibilities.
The Upper School teacher reports directly to the Executive Principal and/or Assistant Principal
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above and below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Teaching experience in a public or private setting; although a teacher’s license is not required, Stone Creek Charter School expects that teachers without a license will work toward completing their licensure over time
- B.A. or B. S. required
- Demonstrated experience working with challenge groups in a student-centered environment within the classroom, including using assessments to place students, curriculum compacting, flexible pacing, flexible instruction, grouping and regrouping, acceleration, enrichment, and independent study to meet student needs
- Demonstrated experience in the instruction of students with varied learning styles and levels of mastery
- Demonstrated experience in effectively solving challenging problems through a positive, collaboration approach
- Expert-level written and oral communication
- Commitment to SCCS’s curriculum and programming (Singapore Math/Math in Focus)
- Knowledge of and commitment to Character Education
- Demonstrated initiative and skills in the following areas; relationship and community building, educational leadership, communication, conflict resolution, creativity, problem solving, decision making, and time management
- Entrepreneurial outlook and charter school commitment
- Ability to assess grade level needs and plan and organize accordingly
- Strong self-starter; able to work with limited direction
- Ability to apply superb judgement
Ability to read and interpret documents such safety rules, policy and expectation documents, staff agreements, evaluation rubrics, curriculum maps and materials, and student assessment documents. Ability to effectively document classroom observations, analyze data to improve instructional practices and correspond with staff from all levels. Ability to speak effectively before groups of staff, students, Board of Directors, Administrators and parents.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable the individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The hours may be long when specific needs arise, thus some extended schedules will be necessary. This position that must attend the needs of staff, Administrators, Stone Creek Charter School Board of Directors and parents. Work may consist of ten (10) plus hour days. Stone Creek Charter School is a dynamic school subject to changing work environments, adaptation of new educational principles and values, and shifting culture. Adaptability to change is essential.
SALARY RANGE: $38,000 – $47,471 per year