Principal or Vice Principal Virtual School Director (Remote Position)
ABOUT BROOKLYN LAB
Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools (LAB) is a network of open enrollment, college-prep, public charter schools that prepares students with the academic foundation, digital literacy, and leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life as they grow as ethical leaders.
The LAB Formula:
- More Time in School: Extended day, week, and school year focused on academic learning and unique enrichment activities (e.g., Robotics, Digital Media, Coding, Debate, Visual Arts).
- High Dose Tutoring: Personalized, small group tutoring from trained college graduates for at least two hours each day.
- Next Generation Learning: A college prep curriculum with Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) -focused enrichment activities to prepare students to succeed in jobs of the future.
ABOUT WORKING AT BROOKLYN LAB
Working at Brooklyn Lab is unlike any traditional environment.
Teachers and staff members alike empower their scholars and colleagues on a daily basis. By design, our schools are small communities where every scholar, teacher and staff member support and grow one another.
Staff and faculty like to understand the value of collaboration and share best practices across the network, mentor and receive feedback from their teams.
Brooklyn Lab Charter Schools is seeking an experienced School Director for our virtual learning Environment. The School Director will manage a team of educators committed to providing a supportive rigorous instruction to our scholars. Through the use of the Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with teachers, counselors, learning coaches and students to ensure that each scholar receives the right support for their success.
This position reports to the Executive Director. The School Director will also be responsible for:
- Supervision of our remote based instructional program, evaluate lesson plans, observe virtual classes on a regular basis to evaluate and coach teachers, and encourage high-quality instruction;
- Lead implementation of programs and curriculum aligned with the New York Learning Standards, Common Core Learning Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and LAB learning objectives;
- Direct the research, development, evaluation, and revision of curriculum and instruction for all subjects and grades;
- Align curriculum to meet ambitious student and teacher performance objectives, curriculum standards, and proficiencies in all grades and subject areas;
- Lead the formulation, planning, and implementation of professional development for instructional staff in a virtual environment;
- Help teachers develop instructional strategies and intervention programs that elevate achievement among all LAB scholars;
- Participate in the design and implementation of systems to assess student achievement;
- Manage standardized test and internal assessment schedules, logistics, and reporting;
- Lead the evaluation of instructional materials, including textbooks, digital resources; library/media acquisitions, and other materials;
- Participate in instructional staff recruitment and selection;
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, master teachers, and other staff to maximize LAB’s ability to support students’ academic and socio-emotional development;
- Support the work of our Family and Community Partnership team and overall school community by creating and implementing virtual opportunities to connect with families
- Other duties as assigned;
- Candidates must have a Master’s degree and at least five years of instructional leadership experience. An ideal candidate for this position:
- Demonstrates the belief that every student can work hard, excel academically, and graduate from college; leads in a way that reflects LAB’s values and beliefs;
- Demonstrates a commitment to urban school leadership and management;
- Online Teaching or online schooling is a plus
- Ability to work remotely
- Availability to work a consistent daily schedule Monday thru Friday; 9 Hours daily during peek student hours per school requirement regardless of physical location
- Demonstrates a sense of urgency to achieve dramatic gains in learning;
- Mobilizes adults to take action toward common goals and achieve results; develops clear, shared purpose that guides and unifies the team; builds effective teams to meet the needs of the task;
- Demonstrates the ability to teach other adults and commit to adults’ growth and development; Demonstrates the ability to distinguish between poor, mediocre, solid, and outstanding teaching;
- Aligns objectives and instructional activities to students’ academic goals;
- Articulates clear and compelling instructional expectations for classroom settings;
- Makes clear decisions while considering diverse perspectives to reach the best solutions;
- Holds him/herself and others accountable for ensuring high achievement for every student;
- Demonstrates high expectations by setting challenging goals for him/herself and others;
- Exhibits willingness to engage in difficult conversations and make hard decisions;
- Takes initiative, goes above and beyond typical expectations, and demonstrates relentless drive and determination to achieve exceptional outcomes and results;
- Exhibits resilience in overcoming setbacks and remains constructive despite resistance or failure; demonstrates tenacity; supports perseverance in others; Focuses on results and how they are achieved; does not confuse effort with results;
- Identifies, analyzes and prioritizes complex problems and key issues in a timely manner;
- Gathers information from multiple relevant sources and stakeholders when problem-solving; Establishes decision-making processes, communicating how decisions will be made and who has input, and ensuring that decisions are made by those best suited to make them;
- Demonstrates ability to evaluate results and use data to drive decision-making. Considers both the longer-term and unintended consequences of potential decisions;
- Makes and stands by decisions that benefit the school. Shares the rationale for decisions, particularly when consensus cannot be reached;
- Manages time and resources effectively, prioritizing efforts according to organizational goals;
- Accurately sizes projects and secures resources needed to accomplish them;
- Proactively develops contingency plans in advance of potential or unforeseen circumstances;
- Monitors a project by assessing milestones and modify plans based on data; Multi-tasks and balances detailed steps with strategy to ensure successful project completion;
- Takes responsibility for behavior, mistakes, and results, learns from successes and failures, and teaches others to do the same;
- Uses data to accurately assess areas for improvement and teaches others to do the same;
- Continuously and humbly seeks opportunities for personal and organizational improvement; proactively solicits and willingly accepts assistance;
- Takes calculated risks and teaches others to do the same; Values creative and innovative ideas;
- Promotes and contributes to a culture of sharing effective practices;
- Possesses strong written and verbal skills;
- Demonstrates professionalism in diverse situations;
- Accurately reads group dynamics to maximize individual strengths.
ABOUT BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
Brooklyn LAB Employees will receive a competitive benefits package that improves over time and is competitive with other New York City charter schools.
In addition to competitive salaries, Brooklyn LAB benefits package includes:
- Very competitive compensation package inclusive of a generous benefits package
- 80% of healthcare premium costs covered by employer
- Employer-paid life insurance and disability
- 403(b) plan with employer contribution
- Voluntary Benefits (Supplemental Life, Accident, Short Term Disability, etc.)
- Generous paid time off program including 3 weeks vacation and sick leave
- An annual professional development allowance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
BECOME BROOKLYN LAB!
Brooklyn LAB is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and is committed to equal access for those with disabilities in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
To join Brooklyn LAB, please submit a resume and cover letter, including your interest in Brooklyn LAB and how you learned about the position.
Please note that due to our selection criteria, we will only notify candidates who meet our selection criteria.