Teacher Virtual School Teacher (Middle and High School)
Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools (LAB) is a network of open enrollment, college-prep, public charter schools that prepares students with the academic foundation, digital literacy, and leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life as they grow as ethical leaders.
The LAB Formula:
- More Time in School: Extended day, week, and school year focused on academic learning and unique enrichment activities (e.g., Robotics, Digital Media, Coding, Debate, Visual Arts).
- High Dose Tutoring: Personalized, small group tutoring from trained college graduates for at least two periods a day.
- Next Generation Learning: A college prep curriculum with Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM)-focused enrichment activities to prepare students to succeed in jobs of the future.
ABOUT TEACHING AT BROOKLYN LAB
Brooklyn Lab Charter Schools is seeking experienced middle and high school teachers for our virtual learning. Through the use of the Internet and various curriculum tools, teachers will consult regularly with teachers, counselors, learning coaches and students to ensure that each scholar receives the right support for their success. Please note we are hiring for several positions in both middle and high school.
Our teachers know the individual strengths and areas for growth of each of their scholars. By design, our schools are small communities where every scholar is known.
Teachers at Brooklyn Lab plan and empower their scholars by deeply understanding scholar data, using our personalized learning platform Cortex and determining group/individual supports for scholars to move towards mastery of grade-level content.
In addition to teaching their course(s), our faculty understands the value of collaboration. They share best practices across the network, mentor young educators who serve as Fellows, get and implement feedback from coaches and their instructional lead and work as a team to provide their scholars with a high-quality education.
As a Brooklyn LAB Teacher, you will:
- Create a welcoming, positive, and safe classroom environment where every child is known and challenged
- Prepare and execute rigorous, engaging lessons aligned with New York State Standards and LAB’s core curriculum.
- Uphold school-wide academic and culture systems and expectations
- Implement frequent assessments and analyze student achievement data to inform and personalize instruction
- Lead a daily advisory to achieve big goals through regular team building, goal setting and tracking, and serving as your advisory’s primary point of contact with the school
- Lead an afterschool academic club intervention block
- Work closely with a dedicated coach, quickly implement feedback, and attend weekly professional development sessions to develop your craft.
- Collaborate across the grade-level teams and other school teams, as needed
- Exemplify LAB’s core values in all interactions with staff, students and families.
**Other duties, based on the needs of the school and its scholars.
ABOUT THE DESIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING & MINDSET:
- A BA/BS degree in the applicable subject; MA preferred, not required
- High GPA in an academic major (preferred, not required)
- Valid New York State Teaching Certification (preferred, but not required)
- 3 years minimum of teaching experience in diverse and urban areas (preferred, not required)
- Commitment to LAB’s mission and academic objectives: that all students, regardless of background and incoming ability, can achieve at high levels
- Record of using data in the classroom to drive student outcomes; commitment to frequent formative assessment and student accountability
- Demonstrated belief in a structured, predictable and safe environment for children
- Willingness to build relationships with students, families and other school members
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Willingness to absorb feedback and engage in self-improvement; ability to reflect and adjust
*Whenever possible, LAB seeks to hire Teachers certified in special education and/or teaching English to speakers of other languages, in addition to the subject they teach, to provide additional support to students with special needs and/or limited English proficiency.
ABOUT BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
Brooklyn LAB Teachers will receive a competitive benefits package that improves over time and is competitive with other New York City charter schools.
In addition to competitive salaries, Brooklyn LAB benefits package includes:
- Employer contribution of 80% of the premium for cost share of health, dental, and vision plans with United Healthcare
- Employer-sponsored short and long term disability and life insurance
- An ample vacation schedule including school break and an additional 5 days of personal leave and 5 sick days
- Ability to participate in pre-tax commuter benefits
- Ability to participate in Lab’s Alerus managed 403b with an employer annualized contribution to a LAB retirement plan
- An individual professional development allowance of $1800
BECOME BROOKLYN LAB!
Brooklyn LAB is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and is committed to equal access for those with disabilities in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
To join Brooklyn LAB, please submit a resume and cover letter, including your interest in Brooklyn LAB and how you learned about the position.
Please note that due to our selection criteria, we will only notify candidates who meet our selection criteria.