Finance Business Manager
JOB TITLE: Business Manager
REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer/Executive Director
POSITION HOURS: 12 Month Position/ 215 Days Per Year
Flexible Summer schedule with Reduced Hours
STARTING SALARY: $25.00 – $27.00 Per Hour ($43,000 to $46,440 per Year)
Perform a wide variety of tasks pertaining to the School’s business office management, accounting functions, and facility and security operations for both the East and West campuses. Promote the vision and mission of Vanguard Classical School. Personally model and actively support the school-wide goals, mission and intent of the charter applications and charter contracts. This position will work with a wide variety of school personnel in addition to parents, volunteers, and vendors. Candidate must have strong written and verbal communication skills paired with the ability to organize and prioritize.
- Minimum 5 years of accounting/bookkeeping experience or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in the use of a computer accounting system (e.g. QuickBooks).
- Experience in facility management preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of payroll experience or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Understanding of general principles and procedures of accounting, auditing, budgeting, bookkeeping, and fiscal record keeping.
- Current knowledge of Workers Compensation claim processing and FMLA compliance is beneficial to support HR functions.
- Basic understanding of safety and security procedures preferred.
- Prior supervision experience preferred.
- High School Degree or equivalent required. College Degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of computer: keyboarding, database, spreadsheet and word processing.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills utilizing positive conflict management strategies.
- Problem solving capabilities and ability to work with minimal supervision and direction.
- Self-motivated, self-directed and flexible, with good organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as a team member to manage the total office workload, develop and streamline procedures and take such training as is appropriate and available.
- A working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet programs. (e.g. Microsoft Office).
- Ability to communicate and problem solve effectively using courtesy, tact and discretion in contacts of a difficult, sensitive or specialized nature.
- Physical ability to perform the required duties.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Maintain all accounting records for VCS.
- Billing and collection of student fees, athletic fees, etc.
- Assist parents with questions relating to student fees and other student related fees.
- Maintain records for accounts receivables and collect on unpaid accounts, in accordance with School procedures.
- Receive all payments for the School and make deposits as required, in accordance with School policies.
- Manage and pay all bills according to set schedule and in accordance with School policies. Ensure proper supporting documentation and approvals and present and in accordance with spending authority.
- Monitor copier lease and maintenance contracts.
- Provide periodic budget updates to department heads upon their request.
- Assist in the development of annual budget.
- Assist with the annual audit, including preparation of working papers.
- Set up, file and sort a variety of documents, which include sensitive and confidential information.
- Monitor petty cash accounts, if applicable.
- Maintain financial transparency on school website in accordance with CDE requirements.
- Prepare annual 1099 forms for vendors and State and Federal filing agencies.
- Assist in the collection of time sheet information.
- Distribute and collect new hire documents.
- Assist in the on boarding process for new hires.
- Distribute checks to employees and process payroll liability payments (e.g. 401K contributions).
- Monitor all revenue and expenditures grants awarded to the School.
- Assist management in preparing financial reports for submission with grant proposals and reporting requirements.
- Prepare quarterly invoices and provide necessary documentation to bill district for grant reimbursement.
- Coordinate purchase orders and purchase requisitions in order to order materials, goods and supplies.
- Participate in the selection of suppliers in accordance with the School’s purchasing policy.
- Investigate purchasing options for better pricing, quality, or other factors.
- Place orders with suppliers.
- Deal with non supplied, under orders, over orders and damaged goods.
Facilities Operations and Maintenance
- Monitor and supervise grounds maintenance, building cleaning, photography, technology, phone/intercom, and equipment vendors and contracts/leases.
- Obtain certificates of insurance from grounds maintenance, building cleaning, photography, technology, phone/intercom, and equipment vendors.
- Act as the liaison for the School with outside contractors for grounds maintenance, building cleaning, photography, technology, phone/intercom, and equipment vendors as needed.
- Coordinate equipment maintenance and provide emergency troubleshooting and maintenance with support of outside contractors as needed.
- Order supplies for equipment (copiers, laminators, etc.).
- Check all equipment in/out to faculty and staff as needed.
- Dispose of unneeded school property in accordance with policies and procedures, as needed.
- Create and maintain system for student lockers.
- Manage lockers, checking in/out students as needed throughout the year.
- Coordinate the maintenance of cameras, FOBS, keys, and employee IDs.
- Assign keys and FOBS to staff members and manage check in/out.
- Monitor and create systems as needed and approved, if needed, by administration.
Safety and Security
- Coordinate 24/7 on-call operational and facility support to School.
- Support Principals and Assistant Principals in conducting and scheduling emergency drills and revise emergency systems as needed.
- Maintain up to date contact lists for emergency responders and district security personnel.
- Contact district security personnel and authorities with security alerts.
- Understand and maintain adherence to all fire and health codes for public schools.
- Train all staff on fire and health code requirements during in-service and provide timely reminders throughout the school year.
- Train staff on proper usage of emergency radios and maintain radios.
- Update Material Safety Data Sheet and Chemical Hygiene Plan and keep in compliance.
- Work with Science Department on maintaining up to date chemical inventory and safety plan, as well as training new science teachers on proper storage and disposal of chemicals.
- Work with staff to check doors and passageways throughout the day, report safety violations to administration.
- Work with Principal and staff to assess needs and best use all building and exterior spaces.
- Provide building information to the Executive Director, Principals and VCS Board as requested.
- Work with staff to assess furniture and equipment needs.
- Make recommendations to administration for room measurements and space layouts as needed.
- Order furniture and equipment as needed.
- Schedule times and organize tasks during in-service with administration for staff-wide effort in moving furniture and equipment as needed.
- Maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information seen or heard.
- Assist in ensuring a calm and professional office environment is maintained at all times.
- Perform other assigned comparable duties which are within the scope of knowledge, skills and abilities required by this position.
- This position is year-round, and will not follow the school calendar, or hours. Hours may fluctuate during the year.
- This is an AT-WILL employment position. This means that the employee may be discharged for any reason or no reason at any time at the will of the school.
- While this position description describes the primary function of the position, it is not a complete description of all responsibilities. As a school, we require flexibility and cooperation.
|Vanguard Classical School shall not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its education programs or activities.|