Teacher Certified High School Science Teacher – Grades 9-12
21st Century Charter School at Gary is a free K-12 public charter school. We are building a team of excellence. We are the top performing charter school in Gary, Indiana. We are one of the few Indiana schools offering an early college program, which allows our qualifying high school students to take real college courses for real college credit, free of charge to our students and their families. Our curriculum and our teaching methods are designed using Core Knowledge in K-8, Project Lead the Way beginning in middle school, and a blended learning model in middle school through high school. We are a TAP school! Please join us if you are committed to excellence, mission-driven, and ready to take 21st Century Charter School @ Gary to uncommonly high levels of achievement! Our teachers cultivate in our students the critical thinking skills they will need to understand how the world around them works and to become leaders and agents of positive change in the world.
Principal and Administrative Team
This is a full-time 10-month position.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher or at least 24 credit hours in the content area
- Valid Teaching License for Grades 9-12
- Demonstrates strong writing skills as evidenced by a written response included with Application, answering the following questions:
Describe one experience where you made a significant difference in a student’s academic achievement.
Describe a time in which you have used student data to drive greater levels of student achievement.
Describe one way you have successfully integrated technology into your classroom.
Strong technical skills, particularly in integrating technology in the classroom to drive academic achievement
Demonstrated volunteer or community service.
At least one (or more) of the following:
- National Board Certification
- TAP Experience (sign on bonus for TAP certification)
- Core Knowledge Experience
- Experience with Blended Learning
- At least two years of successful teaching in an urban environment
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
A High School Teacher is required to perform the following duties:
- Plan and implement a blended learning environment, providing direct and indirect instruction in the area of Science based on state standards
- Participation in all TAP requirements, focusing on data-driven instruction
- Create an inviting, innovative and engaging learning environment that develops student critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Prepare students for strong academic achievement and passing of all required assessments
- Communicate regularly with parents
- Continually assess student progress toward mastery of standards and keep students and parents well informed of student progress by collecting and tracking data, providing daily feedback, weekly assessments, and occasional parent/teacher conferences
- Work with the Special Education teachers and administration to serve special needs students in the classroom
- Attend all grade level and staff meetings and attend designated school functions outside of school hours
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom you are responsible
- Accept and incorporate feedback and coaching from administrative staff
- Perform necessary duties including but not limited to morning, lunch, dismissal, and after-school duties
- Performs other duties, as deemed appropriate, by the principal
- Dress professionally and uphold all school policies