Research and Policy Chief Legal Counsel & General Counsel
The Chief Legal Counsel and General Counsel will:
- Serve as general counsel to CASB and advise CASB staff and the CASB Board of Directors on legal issues.
- Lead CASB’s member legal resources and policy teams.
- Serve as a resource for CASB-member school boards seeking general legal information and policy information.
- Research and develop resources to keep CASB members apprised of current legal issues and policies affecting Colorado school districts.
- Provide legal support to CASB’s advocacy and policy teams.
- Monitor, review, and comment on rules pending before the State Board of Education and other state agencies that pertain to schools.
- Serve on committees and working groups with the Colorado Department of Education and other state agencies and organizations that pertain to schools.
- Monitor state and federal cases and decisions that pertain to schools.
- Develop and deliver presentations that provide general legal information to school board members and other school district personnel at district locations and CASB events.
- Juris Doctor degree and licensed to practice law in Colorado.
- Experience in education law in Colorado and nationwide.
- Experience with school board policy research and/or development.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Ability to analyze legal issues and trends within Colorado and nationwide and to forecast their impact on public education.
- A genuine desire to work with people to improve public education.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with publicly-elected boards of education, the education community, political figures, and the public.
- Knowledge of statutory and regulatory compliance requirements impacting education within Colorado and nationwide.
- Experience representing school districts, nonprofit education organizations, or other public education entities.
- Experience with the legislative process and working with educational advocates / lobbyists.
- Understanding of member school boards’ needs and an association’s role in meeting those needs.
- Experience serving as a senior leader within an organization.
- Ability to contribute to and champion strategic change.
- Experience supervising and managing staff.
- Experience managing multiple concurrent projects and responsibilities.
Salary: CASB will offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, within the range of $100,000 – $120,000.
Benefits: Sick leave, vacation leave, Public Employees Retirement Association membership, a group disability policy, and employee life insurance policy. Additional optional benefits include a 401k plan, health insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance.
Job Posting Date: March 5, 2021.
Application Deadline: 4:30 p.m. April 21, 2021
Anticipated start date: To be negotiated.
The Colorado Association of School Boards is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, age, marital status, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status.