Research and Policy Chief Legal Counsel & General Counsel
The Chief Legal Counsel and General Counsel will:
• Serve as general counsel to CASB and advise CASB staff and the CASB Board of Directors on legal issues
• Lead CASB’s member legal resources and policy teams
• Serve as a resource for CASB-member school boards seeking general legal information
• Research and develop resources to keep CASB members apprised of current legal issues affecting Colorado school districts
• Provide legal support to CASB’s advocacy and policy teams
• Monitor, review, and comment on rules pending before the State Board of Education and other state agencies that pertain to schools
• Serve on committees and working groups with the Colorado Department of Education and other state agencies and organizations that pertain to schools
• Monitor state and federal cases and decisions that pertain to schools
• Develop and deliver presentations that provide general legal information to school board members and other school district personnel at district locations and CASB events
• Juris Doctor degree and be licensed to practice law in Colorado or another state and be willing to seek admission to the Colorado bar
• A minimum of 7 years of experience practicing education or public sector law
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including public speaking
• Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with publicly-elected boards of education, the education community, political figures, and the public
• A genuine desire to work with people to improve public education
• Knowledge of education law in Colorado and nationwide
• Experience representing school districts, nonprofit organizations, or other public sector entities
• Experience with school board policy research and/or development
• Experience with the legislative process and working with educational advocates / lobbyists
• Experience serving as a senior leader within an organization
• Experience supervising and managing other attorneys and support staff
• Experience managing multiple concurrent projects
Salary: CASB will offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Job Posting Date: January 29, 2020.
Application Deadline: Ongoing; position open until filled.
Anticipated start date: To be negotiated.
The Colorado Association of School Boards is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, age, marital status, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status.