Operations Community School Director
Phipps Neighborhoods in collaboration with the New York City Department of Education is leading the creation of community schools throughout the Bronx. The Community School model will bring together a strong and active set of partners to address the needs of schools and the surrounding community and employ a governance structure that relies on strong collaboration and interaction.
In order to maximize our ability to provide communities with the resources needed to increase opportunities, strengthen neighborhoods and transcend poverty, Phipps Neighborhoods programs work through a community impact model .* Community Schools are an important component of that model. The Community School Director is a critical *change agent who will work inside a partner school to leverage Phipps Neighborhoods and other local services in order to ensure student success.
The Community School Director will collaborate with Phipps Neighborhoods staff, school leadership and other local stakeholders to build a model where all community resources are directed towards students and their families, in the service of enhancing student achievement. Community school staff members work in a team structure, where they collaborate every day to meet students’ needs and to learn from one another. Teachers and other staff members work together to make the school work for our students and families, and this collaboration is built into the daily life of the school.
Phipps Neighborhoods seeks a full-time Community School Director to fill this position. Responsibilities include:
· Manage the Community School model and in partnership with the school principal ensure all community school components are implemented strategically and effectively. These components include: Extended learning and academic support, health and mental health service, family engagement, and community partnerships.
· Develop, deepen and coordinate community partnerships with varied community based organizations and service providers to meet the identified needs of students, families, and the school
· Supervise Community School Staff and interns and manage consistent service delivery across partnership
· Facilitate, in partnership with the school principal, a comprehensive school needs assessment and trough that assessment build a strategy for engaging community partners at the school.
· Communicate with students frequently and effectively, connecting students to a range of services and programs inside and outside the school that address their physical, emotional, cognitive, and social development
· Observe and evaluate staff performance and provide and / or facilitate ongoing relevant professional development for staff
· Participate in the data collection , management and analysis on student outcomes, and use data regularly for continuous improvement of the program model
· Plan and lead Town Halls, Community School partnership meetings and other formal spaces for planning and community input (including evenings and weekends)
· Build positive and trusting relationships with students that affirm their strengths and support their growth
· Create , disseminate and promote a calendar of services and activities to be provided in the school including evenings, weekends and in the summer
· Engage families and caregivers in supporting the education of their children and the ways in which academic outcomes are enhanced by serving the social-emotional and personal development needs of the child.
· Manage record-keeping related to the program’s deliverables
The ideal candidate will be high-energy leader, with a passion for helping all young people succeed, and a track record of strong management skills. The Community School Director must possess exceptional writing, speaking, interpersonal and organization skills and must be able to be a great representative of Phipps Neighborhoods and school leadership. Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to manage multiple priorities is a must. Finally, he/she should be a pro-active leader and have successful experience working in a school, with the capacity to be flexible, collaborative, and solutions-oriented.
Required: • Bachelor’s degree (particularly with coursework in Education or Social Work) • 5+ years of relevant experience, including at least one year experience working in an urban school environment • Evidence of culturally competent practices and familiarity with NYC non-profits and social services • Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff, student body and families, as well as a team of professionals at the school and across the organization Preferred: • Master’s degree in Education, School Counseling, Social Work or a related field • Spanish fluency • Experience using student data to guide practice.
How to ApplyTo apply for this position please go online to our website : www.phippsny.org/about/careers .
189 total views, 1 today