School Network Staff Dean Fellow, Relay Memphis
Location: Memphis, TN
Start Date: Spring 2020
At Relay Graduate School of Education (Relay), we’re looking for an exceptional leader who will continue our groundbreaking approach to teacher preparation at our Memphis campus. Founded in 2011, this campus works closely with teachers, Shelby County Schools district and charter schools and Achievement School District schools and community members to ensure that students in Memphis have the best educational opportunities possible. As a Dean Fellow, you’ll spend a year learning and beginning to shape your role as a future leader at this campus.
To succeed in this role, it’s critical that you not only know about educational theory and history but you must also believe that great educators can break the cycle of poverty — and that teachers and school leaders can learn how to be great by mastering concrete, practical techniques for high-impact instruction.
That’s because Relay’s approach to preparing educators is unlike any other in the United States. Our graduate students earn their master’s degrees when they can show a measurable impact on student achievement in their classrooms. They earn credits not for the time they spend in class, but for demonstrating mastery of specific techniques. And their professors aren’t just great graduate-level instructors — they’re also some of the most effective educators in PK-12 schools.
In short, Relay focuses on results — not just at our institution, but also in the schools of the educators we train. As a Dean Fellow, you will be responsible for helping Relay students achieve those results on a broad scale, across district and charter schools.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as our primary instructional leader for the campus by creating and teaching Relay courses, as well as advising graduate students
- Manage and strengthen Relay’s relationships with key external partners, including donors, non-profit organizations, district and school leaders, as well as prospective graduate students and faculty
- In partnership with Relay’s Provost and Senior Deans, design a comprehensive program of study for graduate students in education, tailored to Tennessee-specific standards
- Support your operations team to coordinate all logistical aspects of Relay on the campus, including but not limited to: scheduling; acquiring and creating all necessary resources; on recruitment, enrollment, communication, finance, student and staff policies, technology and facilities needs
- Lead strategic visioning and budgeting for your region in conjunction with the region’s operations leader
- Manage or lead others to manage full-time faculty and part time adjunct professors
- Oversee and facilitate any professional development series or school-based support provided by campus
Most importantly, you must share the team’s sense of urgency about the need to improve student achievement through phenomenal training for educators. Additionally, you must have the following:
- A master’s or doctorate degree in education
- At least six years of instructional experience, with at least three as an instructional and strategic leader at the school, organization, district and/or state level
- Strong alignment with Relay’s pedagogical philosophy
- Top-notch ability to instruct adult learners
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse populations
- A proven aptitude to lead, inspire and persuade others
- Excitement to start a new venture
- Ability to work effectively, intensely, and within an entrepreneurial environment
- A demonstrated passion for urban education and closing the opportunity gap
Relay Graduate School of Education (Relay) is a national, accredited, nonprofit institution of higher education whose mission is to teach teachers and school leaders to develop in all students the academic skills and strength of character needed to succeed in college and life. Relay currently serves over 5,000 teachers and school leaders across 19 campuses. Relay is eager to bring about transformational change in educator preparation and is committed to using practice and feedback to become the place where a new generation of continuously improving, results-focused individuals can fulfill their destiny in the world’s greatest profession.
Relay offers a competitive salary and benefits package for full-time employees.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.