Marketing and Communications Digital Marketing Manager
Chalkbeat, the nonprofit news organization telling the story of education in America, seeks a digital marketing manager to help Chalkbeat grow into one of the largest nonprofit news sites in the country.
Chalkbeat’s digital marketing manager will drive key outcomes for both our revenue and editorial teams — increasing digital revenue, growing email subscribers, and piloting new audience growth initiatives. This is a highly interdisciplinary role, working in tandem with almost every team at Chalkbeat, from editorial, revenue, tech, analytics, etc. This position will report to the Head of Growth.
Who are you?
You are mission-driven, and you understand that the success of Chalkbeat means combining excellent journalism with a strong business model. You’re a self-starter who can both see the big picture and jump in to help execute important work. You’re comfortable wearing many hats and are highly collaborative, able to earn trust and drive outcomes along the way.
What background and skills do you have?
- 3+ years of work experience related to marketing or audience growth
- An entrepreneurial spirit, with stories to tell
- Proven track record of email-based conversion (either donations or e-commerce sales), and experience utilizing the capabilities of an email service provider
- Comfort with segmentation and data
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, and able to take initiative without heavy oversight
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!
What will you be responsible for?
- Membership: Driving growth in reader revenue, specifically the evolution and expansion of our brand new membership program.
- Email marketing: Creating a sustainable and scalable email experience across teams, especially as our reach continues to expand into new locales and topics within the education space.
- New initiatives and market research: Identifying, evaluating, and piloting promising initiatives that support Chalkbeat’s growth, from re-investing in existing products to incubating new high-potential opportunities.
Ideally, you’d be based in one of the cities where Chalkbeat already has a presence: Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis, New York City, or Washington, D.C. However, working remotely is a possibility for the right candidate.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to ApplyPlease send a PDF of your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Digital Marketing Manager” in the subject line. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
3521 total views, 43 today