School Network Staff Director, Development
Start Date: Immediate
Location: Brooklyn, New York
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates over 30 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children, regardless of race or economic status. Achievement First currently educates more than 12,600 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black and Latino. With its college-preparatory focus, the Achievement First approach is attaining breakthrough academic gains throughout the network. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country.
Achievement First’s approach to teaching and learning enables every student to succeed at the highest levels. This involves:
- Recruiting and developing successful teachers and school leaders and empowering them to use student data to strategically drive instruction;
- Creating a joyful school culture where it is “cool to be smart” that emphasizes character education and focuses students on college;
- Providing students with more time on task and intense intervention when they are struggling so that no child falls through the cracks.
For more information about Achievement First’s mission, approach, schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Team Development secures the philanthropic resources necessary for Achievement First and our schools to grow, improve and innovate. The director of development will report to the vice president of development with a particular focus on generating private revenue in New York City. In August 2018, Achievement First will have 23 schools in Brooklyn that serve more than 8,100 students. The director of development will be responsible for developing strong relationships with individuals, foundations, corporations and board members who share our vision for equity in education, as well as cultivating, stewarding and soliciting compassionate, generous contributors. This is a unique opportunity to be a lead member of a team that raises in excess of $20 million annually in support of a high-performing, scaling organization that is committed to excellence.
Responsibilities of the director of development will include but are not limited to:
- Donor Stewardship
- Manage grant application and reporting calendar to ensure Team Development meets deadlines and annual fundraising goals
- Prepare grant applications and reports for a subset of private funders as a key component of Team Development’s annual and/or multi-year strategy for these funders
- Coordinate across other Achievement First teams and/or school teams to obtain the information necessary to prepare and complete timely funding proposals and reports
- Analyze and synthesize information to compose compelling funding proposals and reports that accurately communicate Achievement First’s successes and challenges
- Maintain and deepen relationships with key funders by sharing updates, articles and events and by ensuring priorities align with Achievement First’s work
- Host highly-engaging and informative school visits to complement the grant approval process and deepen funder connection with Achievement First’s mission and the need for support
- Develop high-quality materials to support frontline fundraising, grant proposals/reports and donor stewardship
- Implement cultivation strategies to increase funding from existing, lapsed and new donors
- Attract new sources of funding to support Achievement First’s growing need for capital funding in New York City and the network’s special initiatives, such as “AF Through College”
- Develop clear, compelling materials to introduce Achievement First to prospects and make a case for funding
- Governance/Board Relations
- Develop and implement annual board calendar to drive the effectiveness of the Achievement First Brooklyn and Network Support boards, including recruitment and onboarding efforts
- Collaborate with senior staff to provide key organizational updates that will increase Achievement First Brooklyn and Network Support boards’ knowledge and ability to serve as partners
- Oversee principal approval process for Achievement First’s Brooklyn schools
- Satisfy governance reporting requirements in collaboration with Team Legal & Compliance
Skills and Characteristics
- Excellent and persuasive communicator as demonstrated by exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior leaders, board members and staff
- Resourceful in pursuit of outcomes, seeking clarity in ambiguity and calmly handling the unanticipated
- Highly organized, with superior attention to detail and the ability to manage, prioritize and ensure the completion of multiple projects
- Interest in applying leadership skills in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Willing to learn and improve, self-reflective, receptive to constructive feedback
- Able to connect with others and build effective professional relationships
- Strong management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Healthy curiosity about all aspects of Achievement First, eager to learn more about and support the larger mission and vision by engaging in network opportunities outside of Team Development
- Belief in and passion for the Achievement First mission and educational model
- Solid technical skills, including proficiency with Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), experience with Google Drive, Raiser’s Edge and Salesforce a plus
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7-10 years work experience, consistently meeting or exceeding performance goals
- Prior development, consulting and/or strategic planning work experience a plus
This position will require occasional evening work and travel within New York City and between New York City, Connecticut and Rhode Island.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
How to ApplyTo Apply Please send a resume and one-page cover letter outlining why you want to join the team at Achievement First and how your skills and experience will contribute to the efforts of Team Development to: Kaitlin Rosa Moher Director, Development (CT/RI) email@example.com Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.
229 total views, 1 today