Finance Director of Finance
Stargate Charter School is seeking an individual to serve as a Director of Finance. This position is responsible for overseeing all financial operations of Stargate Charter School.The individual will advise the Executive Director of Operations, Executive Director of Academics and the school Governance Board on the financial and budget matters of the school while administering the finances in compliance with federal, state, and local laws. The job responsibilities include directing and managing all finance functions involved with: accounting, budgeting, grants management, payroll, purchasing, risk management and facilities support. Acts as the liaison with the school Finance Committee. Responsible for monthly reports in support of financial reporting and transparency. Assists with long and short-range financial planning, advises on special projects, and provides analyses to support board and executive decision making. This position will report directly to the Executive Director of Operations. This position will supervise the staff accountant.
This is a 12 month, full time, benefited position with a salary range from $80,000 – $100,000 based on related experience. Benefits include employer paid medical, dental, STD, LTD, life insurance, and paid time off; other optional benefits plans, like vision, life and AD&D insurance are available and paid by employee. (Please note benefits are subject to change without notice.)
Our Mission Statement: Stargate School will provide a differentiated program designed specifically to meet the needs of identified intellectually gifted learners in order to challenge each student’s academic abilities, support their unique emotional needs, promote individual character development and encourage a life-long love of learning.
Our Vision Statement: Stargate community will be a leader and innovator in intellectually gifted education by providing a learning environment to enhance gifted students’ needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise all financial processes including:financial reporting, financial audit, banking, bond compliance, tax filing, general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and purchasing.
- Direct the preparation of the annual budget while maintaining current knowledge of state and federal laws governing the control and distribution of public school finances.
- Maintain constant awareness of the school’s financial position and act to prevent possible issues.
- Manage and maintain the school’s financial software systems.
- Manage audit and internal control operations.
- Prepare timely and detailed reports on financial and budget performance on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Supervise, coach, and evaluate activities of employees performing business/financial functions to include financial reporting, accounting, billing, payroll, budgeting, and other administrative duties.
- Serve as a member of the school administration team and advisor on short-term and long-term financial objectives and policies.
- Participate in planning, development and implementation of budgets, including debt management, and long range facilities management.
- Manage banking relationships and cash balances.
- Provide effective management of the assets of the school by promoting internal controls and ensuring proper insurance coverage.
- Serve as a liaison/advisor to the school’s Finance Committee.
- Develop, prepare, manage and monitor department budgets.
- Create and deliver financial presentations for monthly board meetings.
- Support school leadership on issues related to facilities, building purchases, leases, and repairs.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Education, Licenses, and Related Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in school business administration, finance, accounting, or related field.
Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- Valid Colorado driver’s license.
Technical Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Proven financial management skills.
- Advanced knowledge of GASB and of GAAP principles.
- Advanced knowledge of budget preparation and control.
- Advanced knowledge and super-user of Excel.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Critical and strategic thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to promote and follow Governance Board policies, school policies, district policies and building and department procedures.
- Ability to stay current with district and school policies standards and training in the areas of data quality, data privacy, and cybersecurity with respect to student and staff data, and related information systems.
- Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with people from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds.
- Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
Materials and Equipment Operating Knowledge:
- Operating knowledge of school and district information technology systems and any other department specific software and equipment required within 2 months after entering position.
- Operating knowledge of and experience with typical office equipment, such as telephones, copier, fax machine, email, etc.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Regular,on site, attendance is required for this position.
Stargate School shall not discriminate in its employment or hiring practices on the basis of race, color,sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or other basis prohibited by applicable law. Stargate is committed to cultural diversity among school personnel as a means of enriching the educational experience. Stargate School shall identify, solicit, and consider applicants for employment from a broad spectrum of qualified individuals who will contribute to that effort.