Instructional Support EDUCATION DIRECTOR: AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAMS
The Education Director oversees the educational component of all GSS afterschool programs, ensuring alignment with school goals and learning standards. The Education Director directly supervises education specialists, and helps to effectively implement a range of curricula that are engaging and appropriate for an afterschool setting. The Education Director is part of the GSS Afterschool Core Team.
Reports to: DIVISION DIRECTOR, COMMUNITY-BASED PROGRAMS
Location: Bronx and Brooklyn. Position will supervise Education Specialists in both boroughs.
Hours: 35 hours/week; Exempt
- Supervise Education Specialists in the Bronx and Brooklyn, ensuring consistency and alignment across the boroughs.
- Research, identify and/or develop curricula that are innovative, culturally relevant, engaging and appropriate for afterschool.
- Collaborate with school staff to work on alignment of afterschool themes and learning objectives with the school day and with the after school model.
- Train staff and provide ongoing coaching on the development and implementation of sequenced activity plans to ensure focus and explicitness in activities such as: literacy, STEM, art, dance, theatre, teambuilding and leadership.
- Contribute to planning and actualizing long and short-term objectives for the program in conjunction with education specialists, program directors, division directors and the Afterschool Core Team.
- Partner with the Program Evaluation and Planning Department (PEP) to develop and implement evaluation activities.
- Provide technical assistance to Group Leaders to optimize homework time, ensuring that all participants’ needs are met.
- Assist in implementation of tutoring for participants in need of additional academic support.
- Work with afterschool staff to plan and co-facilitate/model sequenced activity plans, targeted to children’s specific literacy needs.
- Work with Program Directors and PEP department to assess afterschool participants’ literacy progress, using research-based assessment tools and/or school data.
- Work with Afterschool Model Fidelity and Training Director to train and coach staff to incorporate the GSS Afterschool Model in unit plans, lesson plans, curricula, and in program practice.
- Work with Division Directors, Education Specialists to ensure programs are prepared for site visits.
- Keep abreast of latest trends in education and at DYCD.
- Participate in relevant external and internal committees/workgroups.
- Participate in grant review, writing and new program implementation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Education or related field required.
- Minimum three years supervisory and teambuilding experience.
- Experience working in non-school setting strongly preferred.
- Experience in lesson planning, development of culturally relevant curriculum and implementation of structured programming for students in elementary and middle school required.
- Effective instructional delivery techniques and excellent communication skills required.
- Experience/expertise with staff development techniques.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with afterschool program staff, school colleagues, school administrators, parents and students required.
- Commitment to work from a strength-based, youth and family development and trauma-informed perspective required.
Good Shepherd Services is a leading multi-service agency with more than 85 programs that serve over 30,000 youth and families each year – and builds on their strengths to help them gain skills for success. At Good Shepherd we respect the dignity and worth of every person and reject intolerance, inequity and injustice in whatever form it may take. Voted one of the top 100 places to work in NYC by Crain’s New York, Good Shepherd Services offers a fantastic work environment, a collaborative team dedicated to fulfilling our mission, and an amazing array of benefits. Join our team and help make a difference!
General Requirements: All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Good Shepherd Services, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness and ability to work within a culturally diverse environment.
Good Shepherd Services is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, participants, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. We do not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services.
How to Applyhttps://employers.indeed.com/j#jobs/view?id=dc332c753edd
366 total views, 3 today