Instructional Support Education Leadership Coach, Affinity Groups
Teach Plus is a national nonprofit whose mission is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that advance equity, opportunity, and student access. The Teach Plus team exists to breathe life into the Student Opportunity Mandate: All students should have the opportunity to achieve their potential in an education system defined by its commitment to equity, responsiveness to individual needs, and ability to prepare students for postsecondary success. At the heart of our work is advocacy for collective impact, beginning with classroom teachers.
What We Do
At Teach Plus, we believe in equity-driven teacher leadership. When we invest in developing our most talented teachers into teacher leaders who are well-informed, persuasive, and prepared to lead, they have deep leverage in advancing equity for students, especially for students of color, low-income students, and those from underserved communities. To close the opportunity gap and to ensure equitable access to a world-class education for all students in the schools and communities we serve, we ignite systems change at multiple levels through our Policy Fellowship and Instructional Leadership programs designed to inspire and equip teachers. We are committed to leading change in our Equity Focus Areas.
What You’ll Do
In July 2023, Teach Plus is launching the Philadelphia Affinity Group Network, which seeks to cultivate authentic, inclusive, intersectional spaces shaped by and for educators of color. These affirming and supportive spaces, rooted in an asset-based understanding of diversity, will support educators in navigating and improving their school environments. They will be connected to a larger network to build alliances and address systemic issues.
As the Education Leadership Coach, you will support and coach 20-25 teacher leaders as facilitators and participants in the Philadelphia Affinity Group Network as they build solidarity and community and identify opportunities for local responsiveness. Reporting to and partnering with the Pennsylvania Managing Director of Programs, you will develop the capacity of the teacher leaders to skillfully facilitate affinity spaces for educators of color, build individual and collective efficacy and agency, and support educator satisfaction and retention. You will also lead program implementation and logistics, provide organizational and thought leadership, and represent the initiative with external audiences. Position responsibilities include the following:
Coach and Support Teacher Leaders as Affinity Group Facilitators
- Support teacher leaders’ ongoing growth and development as Affinity Group Facilitators by providing timely, growth-oriented feedback and support through coaching conversations, professional learning sessions, and collaboration opportunities.
- Help to develop and refine the curriculum for the Affinity Group Program per the program’s objectives, budget, and evaluation feedback.
- Foster High Functioning, High Impact Teacher-Leader-led Affinity Groups by:
- developing strong relationships and professional collaboration with adult learners;
- ensuring that Affinity Groups are rooted in racial equity, culturally responsive leadership, intersectionality, and identity work;
- observing and strategically contributing to Affinity Group meetings when possible;
- designing and facilitating monthly coaching sessions for Affinity Group Facilitators;
- working with Affinity Group Facilitators to thoughtfully use an implementation budget for each Affinity Group and track the receipts of funds used by the Affinity Group;
- Plan in-person convenings for participants.
Program Management and Implementation
- Lead or co-lead the Philadelphia Affinity Group Steering Committee comprised of district partners and other supporting organizations to ensure stakeholders are informed of progress and updates and to create a collaborative space to help strengthen and grow the network.
- In collaboration with the PA Managing Director of Programs, represent Teach Plus in conversations with stakeholders, and liaise with program funders to ensure we are complying with the requirements of the grant agreement, such as creating quarterly & annual reports, facilitating meetings, and completing other requirements as outlined in the grants.
- Document and report on the program’s high and consistent quality delivery and fidelity, and, when seeing common trends across Affinity Groups, develop recommendations that could be implemented citywide.
- Work with Affinity Group Facilitators to identify challenges to teacher retention in the local context and to propose solutions.
- Work with the Teach Plus National Program Team to communicate critical support, outcomes, metrics, and resource needs and develop systems that allow teacher leadership to be implemented more efficiently and effectively.
- Support district/network-level leadership to help build capacity within their district/network to continue this work beyond the initial launch and implementation.
Who You Are
To be successful in this role, you will have the following:
- 6+ years in the education field, including coaching experience, with preference given to candidates with a teaching background and experience coaching teachers and school leaders in diverse school environments.
- Preference is given to leaders who have led transformational work in education.
- Strong background in racial equity work, including culturally responsive leadership, intersectionality, and identity.
- Experience in leadership development and facilitation of inquiry with teachers or school leaders.
- Experience creating and building professional development materials and training.
- Experience leading and/or participating in an Affinity Group is preferred.
Start Date and Term
The start date for this position is July 2023 and is flexible based on the candidate’s availability. An official offer is contingent upon anticipated grant approval and finalization of funding. This is a two-year grant-funded position, with renewal on an annual basis based on performance, funding of continued work with partners, and the organization’s needs.
Location, Travel, and Commitment
Applicants must live in the Philadelphia Region of PA. This position will require a combination of in-person and virtual coaching and support for Affinity Group Facilitators and internal and external meeting participation.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is between $80,000 and $90,000. The salary offered will be determined based on the selected candidate’s specific qualifications, years of relevant experience, specialized knowledge, and internal pay equity. Teach Plus provides a comprehensive benefits package and time-off, including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 13 holidays, July break, Winter break, paid parental leave, and a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in any aspect of employment based on race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age.