Principal or Vice Principal Elementary Principal
EFFECTIVE: July 2022
Position Type: Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Englewood is a small urban community approximately 6.5 square miles in size located in the geographical center of the Denver, Colorado metropolitan area. Nestled between the city of Denver and its suburbs to the south, Englewood Schools allows students to belong and thrive in a unique learning environment. Our district provides educational opportunities for nearly 3,000 students at our early childhood center, four elementary schools, two middle schools and two high schools.
Charles Hay World School is a public International Baccalaureate school serving approximately 350 students in grades Kindergarten through 6th grade that includes a center based Affective Needs program. Additionally, Charles Hay World School is a school of choice, meaning families from out of district or the traditional enrollment boundaries have the option to register. Charles Hay World School features include:
- One-on-one device distribution for all students kindergarten through 6th grade, with a library of over 3,000 electronic books
- Authorized International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme School
- Focus on inquiry-based teaching and the development of international-mindedness
- Focus on social/emotional development and problem solving skills
- School-wide Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics(STEAM) program
- Spanish instruction for all students
- Physical education, art and music for all students
- Opportunities for community-based and service learning experiences
- Before and after school care
- Extensive offering of after-school clubs addressing a variety of interests
Charles Hay World School is an innovative and highly collaborative school that values student centered learning, questioning and a place where creativity is encouraged and promoted for students and staff. At Charles Hay, all staff members advocate for students’ best interests and have a strong commitment to student success. The staff is proud of the culture and climate of the building that supports students’ academic and social emotional well-being and have built a robust system of academic and social emotional support to ensure that the school continues to excel in these areas. Charles Hay World School also has a high level of parent involvement that helps to create and reinforce the strong sense of community at the school. The staff prides themselves on being resilient and creative problem solvers who take pride in the long term vision of success for the school and its students and are eager to do what needs to be done to ensure continued success.
- Ability to identify and promote effective instructional practices
- Experience as an educational administrator is preferred
- Experience at the elementary level is prefered
- Experience with International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program is preferred
- Instructional expertise around scientific and research based early literacy development and practice is preferred
- Experience in supervision/evaluation of staff is preferred
- Experience as an instructional leader is required
- Knowledgeable about whole-child learning
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively manage a building budget
- Ability to work collaboratively with students, staff, parents and community
- Ability to create and maintain a safe and effective learning environment for students
- Demonstrated effectiveness as both a team leader and team member
- Understanding of and experience in building-level school improvement processes leading to increased student performance
- Ability to be adaptive yet focused on improvement priorities
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with teachers, and all staff to grow instructionally and professionally
- Possess or the ability to attain a State of Colorado Principal’s license
- Leads staff members, through professional learning communities, in utilizing the districts’ standards-based curriculum to implement data-driven-instruction that responds to students’ learning needs
- Creates, implements and maintains tiered systems of academic and social emotional/behavioral support
- Utilizes appropriate resources of the staff, student body, school district and the community to develop and maintain highly effective instructional and co-curricular programs
- Plans and implements goals and objectives related to the improvement of instruction in a standard based model and leading to increased student achievement
- Plans and implements professional development activities for teachers and other staff members
- Serves as strong, supportive advocate for the school’s vision, students and staff
- Embraces the elementary community, is spirited, and cares about/enjoys working with kids
- Makes difficult decisions that are best for students, staff and the school
- Motivates, inspires and leads students and staff
- Responsible for performance evaluation and supervision of each staff member assigned to the school
- Develops and maintains effective communications among the students, the community, the faculty and the administration
- Plans and implements effective school improvement processes leading to increased student performance (short cycle action planning, 90 day plans)
- Engages in professional learning that integrates application of learning with Englewood Schools strategic plans and initiatives.
- Support work around securing and maintaining grants that support educational opportunities for students
- Supports the mission and vision of the Superintendent and Board of Education
- Other duties as assigned
- Supervision of certified and classified employees.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the district’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; conferences, goal setting, formal and informal observations, feedback and employee evaluations; rewarding, disciplining and recommending termination employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
BUDGET AND/OR RESOURCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prioritize and schedule work tasks independently.
- Create and implement effective and efficient process management strategies (e.g., procedures, equipment, materials and supplies).
- Accurately project budgetary needs and plans for effective use of fiscal resources.
- Maintain accurate records in accordance with professional standards, state guidelines, and school system policy.
Master’s degree with emphasis in curriculum, instruction, educational leadership or administration (required).
Five (5) years successful teaching experience (required).
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS:
Valid Colorado Driver’s License.
Valid Colorado Principal License upon hire.
Superintendent and Deputy Superintendent
Charles Hay World School
$90,000 – 115,000, depending upon experience and qualifications.
February 7, 2022
New hires or rehires will be responsible for the $49.50 fingerprint processing fee required for background checks through the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.
This job description is not intended to create any express or implied contract of employment or expectancy of continued employment for any definite term.
In compliance with Titles VI & VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, the Americans with Disabilities Act and Colorado law, Englewood Schools does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of disability, race, creed, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, or need for special education services in admissions, access to, treatment, or employment in educational programs or activities which it operates. Inquiries or complaints may be referred to Mr. Ryan Cowell, Executive Director of HR and Talent Development,4101 S. Bannock Street, Englewood, CO 80110, (303) 806-2029, or to the Office for Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education, Region VIII, Federal Office Building, 1244 North Speer Blvd., Suite 310, Denver, CO 80204.