School Network Staff Executive Director
Job Description: Executive Director, Northeast Denver Innovation Zone
The Executive Director will support the execution of the overall vision and strategy for the Northeast Denver Innovation Zone (NDIZ) and will ensure that schools within the zone have the necessary operational and financial support to accomplish dramatic improvements in student achievement. The Executive Director is responsible for all aspects of the Northeast Denver Innovation Zone’s organizational health and will support the creation, monitoring, and improvement of network-wide systems that will ensure the success of the individual schools and the Zone structure. He/she will support the NDIZ’s strategic growth and other initiatives, oversee sound budget processes, and support each school’s value-driven professional culture and, in
partnership with each School Principal, the achievement of the school’s academic goals. The Executive Director will have an entrepreneurial mindset, be highly adaptive, and report directly to the Zone’s Board of Directors.
Who We Are
● Mission – The Northeast Denver Innovation Zone empowers innovation schools in
Northeast Denver to collectively leverage flexibilities, resources, and human capital in
order to deliver an excellent education to students in schools that are committed to
● Vision – All children in Northeast Denver will have the opportunity to attain an excellent education.
● Summary – The Northeast Denver Innovation Zone is comprised of four innovation
schools, and currently pending approval for innovation zone status from Denver Public Schools. The four schools in the NDIZ are McAuliffe International School, McAuliffe Manual Middle School, Swigert International School, and Northfield High School. All four of these schools are International Baccalaureate schools in Northeast Denver that develop inquiring, knowledgeable, and caring young people through the collaborative efforts of students, teachers, parents, and community. They are rigorous,
high-performing schools that will serve more than 3,000 students in 2018-2019,
spanning grades K through 12. They prepare students for success in college, and are
committed to delivering an excellent education to students in an inclusive school
environment. They will directly contribute to the Denver Plan 2020 goals by providing
great schools for neighborhoods in Northeast Denver. As International Baccalaureate
schools, all four schools are committed to making sure that all of their students are
provided a holistic education that addresses the needs of the whole child, including their physical health, and social and emotional well-being. In addition, all zone schools will prioritize closing the opportunity gap by improving academic achievement outcomes for students of color while fostering a culture of equity in our schools.
Responsibilities– The core responsibilities of the Executive Director will include, but not be limited to:
● Support organizational culture, values, and rigorous academic environment
● Cultivate and strengthen NDIZ’s relationship to Denver Public Schools (DPS)
● Build relationships with the four school communities and regularly gather feedback to ensure that the Zone is an organization responsive to the needs of the school
● Serve as spokesperson for the NDIZ and articulate a clear vision of the strategic goals and objectives of to all stakeholders
● Create strong brand recognition and positive publicity for NDIZ in local, state, and
● Develop and execute the organization’s strategic growth plan and engage in strategic
● Manage and evaluate NDIZ school leaders
● Manage meetings of the Board of Directors, and serve as liaison between Zone schools and the Zone board
● Participate in the compilation of a yearly report highlighting the performance of NDIZ schools
● As NDIZ undertakes change, oversee transition processes at school sites, including
providing an additional component of leadership at the school sites as needed
● Develop and grow a leadership pipeline by identifying existing or potential leadership talent within the network schools.
● Work with DPS staff in the development and execution of operational guidelines relating to NDIZ schools, including monitoring and compliance processes
● Coordinate and resolve issues between the NDIZ schools and the operational service
departments of the District
● Serve as an advocate for zone schools by working with DPS in order to effectively
integrate zone flexibilities with District systems Finance
● Oversee the budgeting process for NDIZ and maximize budget efficiencies for Zone
● Work with DPS to ensure smooth functioning of key financial systems
● Negotiate and manage contracts for any shared services across the NDIZ schools
● Research, identify, and apply for additional funding sources to support Zone schools
● Participate in the development and evaluation of Zone schools’ Unified Improvement Plans
● Identify and coordinate access to high caliber partner organizations for Zone schools
● Facilitate collaboration and shared professional development across zone schools and identify opportunities for the sharing of resources and expertise
Skills, Knowledge, Qualifications and Experience
● A demonstrated commitment to public service, especially improving public education
● A demonstrated commitment to equity and to closing opportunity and achievement gaps
● Ability to organize effectively, prioritize and oversee implementation of multiple initiatives
● Ability to adapt quickly in the face of change
● Ability to effectively communicate for NDIZ and instill confidence and buy-in from key stakeholders, including the NDIZ Board, state and federal agencies, local school board, educational associations, interest groups and parents
● Strong background in municipal and/or school operations, including finance, facilities, and human capital
● Outstanding problem solver, strategic thinker, and decision maker, balancing data,
wisdom, experience, and judgment to make sound decisions
● Incredible work ethic and ability to do whatever it takes to get the job done
● High standards of excellence for self and for others
● Bachelor’s degree required (advanced degree preferred)
● At least 7 – 10 years of education-related work experience
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. NDIZ offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested and qualified applicants should send a resume and statement of interest to email@example.com .
The Northeast Denver Innovation Zone is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
How to ApplyInterested and qualified applicants should send a resume and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org .
710 total views, 1 today