Teacher Founding Math Teacher
Founding Math Teacher Job Description
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Head of School
Annual Contract Days: 192
American Indian Academy of Denver (AIAD) is an Indigenized STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) public school opening at the beginning of the 2020 school year providing rigorous learning opportunities for 6-8th grade students.
We are committed to creating a sustainable environment where students, staff, and parents are safe, feel they belong, and are actively engaged. All variations within the identities of race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, language, ability, nationality, tribal affiliation, immigration status, age, and class are honored; each member of the school community is deeply valued and provided with what they need to be healthy physically, socially, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.
Employment at AIAD means becoming part of a community of caring and driven adults dedicated to the strengthening of indigenous peoples’ self-determination, mobility and academic excellence attained through the implementation of Indigenized education. Collaboratively, teachers are afforded the autonomy to develop and implement lesson plans within AIAD’s integrated STEAM and ELA/SS curriculum and learning experiences for students and will be provided technical support in doing so. Teachers are also expected to transcend western educational expectations of what curriculum should be by ever-increasingly leaning into models of fun, meaningful learning and identity development that caters to the unique needs that indigenous students have. This can include decolonized/Indigenized frameworks and pedagogies, land-based learning models, arts-based learning, social-emotional and trauma-informed teaching, mindfulness and post-trauma healing, restorative practices and classroom management, physical activity, traditional language learning, traditional ecological and ethnobotanical knowledge, oral tradition and storytelling as a means to ground content in indigenous worldview, etc.
Collaboration across disciplines, different class subject matters, teachers and grades are welcome and encouraged in the interest of strengthening community and cooperation. Teachers are encouraged to also reach out and build solidarities with community members who are willing to come into class and share content, teachings, wisdom, skills and build relationships.
AIAD teachers create and implement relevant and meaningful curriculum through innovative teaching methods. The AIAD Math teacher will be responsible for building each student’s foundation of math using a variety of instructional methods nested in culturally competent approaches, including land-based, project-based and problem-based learning as well as collaborative student-led discussions, group learning strategies and differentiated learning modifications/extension that promote academic achievement for all students.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Implement a Tier 1 (stand-alone) math curriculum for middle school students:
● Implement Tier 2 math interventions;
● Collaborate with colleagues to provide math extensions for advanced learners;
●Use strength-based restorative classroom practices that foster resiliency and success for
●Collaborate with colleagues to develop middle school STEAM lesson plans and learning
activities that fit within AIAD’s STEAM curriculum;
● Participate in weekly professional development through a student-centered professional
learning community format;
● Develop strong relationships with parents and students, creating investment in school culture
● Work collaboratively with partner teachers and staff to create consistent structures and
● Maintain records for such things as student attendance, evaluation, report cards, and other documents;
● Implement Individualized Education Plan (IEP), monitor and report on students’ progress toward their academic and career readiness goals, as noted in their IEP as aligned with the instructor’s content area.
REQUIRED PREPARATION AND EXPERIENCE:
● Possess Colorado Teaching Licensure and/or endorsements in the subject areas that s/he will teach and/or hold at least a BA or higher in a relevant subject area;
● Possess at least Year-One English Language Acquisition (ELA) qualification or is willing to acquire this qualification within one year of hire;
● Has minimum of 2 years classroom experience;
● Possess strong content knowledge, particularly around pre-Algebra, Algebra and Pre-
● Has experience developing and implementing differentiated curriculum and learning
objectives for a wide range of learners;
● Has experience and/or strong understanding of how to design culturally competent learning experiences;
● Has experience integrating technology, art/design into instruction and student learning
● Possess deep understanding of what it means to live as part of a marginalized group of
● Possess great relationship skills and high emotional intelligence.
STRONGLY PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND DISPOSITIONS:
● Loves teaching middle schoolers;
● Demonstrate a deep commitment to decolonized mindsets and practices;
● Has experience in project-based, problem-based learning experiences using integrated
● Has experience with cooperative learning techniques to enhance collaboration skills among students;
● Possess collaborative skills and a willingness to work with colleagues in a Professional
● Possess desire to learn and grow, and is open to feedback from instructional leaders and
● Demonstrate willingness to be involved in community activities and events outside of typical school hours.
WHY CHOOSE AIAD?
● Empowering work environment in a community-based school dedicated to community
● Opportunity to be a founding staff member as we build a high achieving school nested in
Indigenous belief systems and values;
● Participate in a shared leadership model where all voices are heard;
● School committed to supporting professional growth for all employees;
● Health/dental/vision insurance and PERA (retirement);
● Staff wellness opportunities;
● Moving stipend for new employees moving to Denver from outside Colorado;
● $41,000 to $51,000 annual salary range dependent upon education and experience