Graphic Designer/Project Manager
Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization telling the story of education in America, seeks a graphic designer with strong project management skills to join the product team. Chalkbeat’s mission is to provide deep, local coverage of education policy and practice to inform the decisions and actions that lead to better outcomes for children and families, especially those in low-income communities. We believe that every child deserves an excellent education and that a strong press is vital to making that happen. In our seven bureaus (and growing), we’re working with communities to reimagine and recreate the press public education deserves. Learn more about how our unique model — a nonprofit newsroom covering a single topic in multiple locations — represents a promising path forward for local news.
Chalkbeat’s product team is responsible for our digital products and visual storytelling. We also provide support for editorial and revenue initiatives that require product thinking, such as newsletters, investigative projects, and membership. That support comes in many forms and degrees, from envisioning strategy to tactical execution.
Your impact as the graphic designer/project manager will be:
- Designing and building new products to reach parents, teachers and other members of our communities to increase Chalkbeat’s sustainability and audience engagement.
- Elevating our brand while designing daily. From event flyers and social media assets to branding for new products to internal reports and pitch templates, you’ll work with teams across Chalkbeat and ensure brand consistency across our external and internal materials.
- Enhance the visual presentation of Chalkbeat’s journalism by developing an illustration strategy, maintaining our photo archives and managing freelance photography.
What background and skills do you have?
- You’ve designed and delivered a wide range of visual materials, from printed flyers and banners to digital media assets.
- You are comfortable working remotely or with remote team members.
- You enjoy working in fast-paced environments, such as a newsroom.
- You are a solid communicator who knows how to ask for help, empathize with teammates and take ownership of your work.
- You are highly organized and adept at managing projects.
- You use modern design tools, such as Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop and web design software, such as Figma, Sketch or InDesign.
- Bonus points for: Fluency in HTML and modern CSS (including SCSS/SASS). An understanding of web accessibility requirements and best practices.
We recognize that every candidate brings interesting skills and experiences that we haven’t thought of. Don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
This position is remote and reports to a manager in Austin, Texas. If you prefer to work in an office, you’re welcome to join us in one of Chalkbeat’s bureaus in Chicago, Denver, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis, Washington D.C. or New York City.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.
How to ApplyPlease send a PDF of your resume, a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and where you heard about it, and a link to your portfolio website or four examples of your work to email@example.com with “Designer/Project Manager” in the subject line. Ideally, a work sample will include all stages of the design process with an explanation of your contributions and design decisions. Chalkbeat is dedicated to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. Chalkbeat encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
1881 total views, 3 today