Marketing and Communications Head of Growth Strategy
BrightPath Tutors is an independent nonprofit founded by two Vanderbilt Class of 2020 graduates that aims to level the playing field by providing free, high-impact tutoring to benefit students in Tennessee. In addition to recruiting top college students, BrightPath has a proprietary software that helps facilitate tutor-student matching, scheduling, and related operations for tutors. BrightPath has recently been chosen by the Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) district to be the leading tutoring provider for the district of 86,000 students and will play a key role in designing and implementing MNPS’s new High Impact Tutoring signature initiative that aims to serve 7,000 students during the ’21-’22 school year.
As a recently-founded nonprofit, BrightPath is proud to be working with Tennessee State Collaborative on Reforming Education (SCORE) who is providing us with support and expertise aimed at establishing key systems and structures that will enable us to rapidly expand our reach. For more information on BrightPath, please visit https://brightpathtutors.org.
Although researchers have found strong evidence to suggest that high-impact tutoring can produce large learning gains for a wide range of students, few tutoring organizations have implemented programs that adhere to the best tutoring practices.
BrightPath prides itself on using innovative technology, relying on data and evidence-based practices, and partnering closely with schools in order to implement a trailblazing program that creates meaningful and long-lasting change for students. Below are some of our core design principles that set us apart from other tutoring providers:
- Frequency: Tutors and students meet at least three times per week, for at least ten weeks.
- Tutor-student ratio: BrightPath tutors meet with students on a one-to-one basis.
- Talent: Our tutors are qualified and passionate college students and community volunteers who receive ongoing training and support.
- Relationships: Students and tutors meet on a recurring basis, which leads to positive
relationships and enables tutors to have a strong understanding of students’ needs.
- Scheduling: We use proprietary technology to pair tutors and students, taking the burden off of the school district. Also, our tutoring happens during the school day, which has proven to result in greater academic gains.
- Curriculum: We collaborate with districts and teachers to ensure that instructional material is aligned with classroom content.
- Delivery: All tutoring is conducted virtually, making it convenient and cost-effective for tutors to volunteer their time.
- Measurement: Our data collection processes enable us to personalize our approach and tailor instruction practices in real-time.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
We’re tackling educational inequities by activating a movement of student volunteers – and we want you to help us expand our network! We are seeking a team member who is entrepreneurial-minded, innovative, and passionate about solving problems related to educational inequity.
The Head of Growth Strategy at BrightPath will play a critical role in the organization’s expansion. This contracted individual will be responsible for scaling and diversifying our existing tutor pool by cultivating ambitious student groups in order to establish BrightPath chapters at more partner campuses throughout Tennessee and beyond. In addition, this individual will serve as a liaison between BrightPath and partner businesses and nonprofits in Nashville who recruit volunteers looking to participate in high- impact tutoring. Finally, when not in active recruiting cycles, this individual will be responsible for developing a strategy to expand to more schools and districts and for fostering community among active tutors. This role requires a passionate individual who is skilled in making connections with people and organizations.
The Head of Growth Strategy at BrightPath will join a dynamic network that is working to create a better future for students and will report to the two founders of BrightPath as well as SCORE leadership. This position is located in Nashville, TN, with a remote option available.
As the Head of Growth Strategy, you’ll be asked to think creatively, while developing leadership and interpersonal skills, as you fuel a movement that will make a real positive difference for thousands of young people. The key responsibilities include:
- Develop a scaling strategy that will result in new BrightPath chapters at various colleges throughout Tennessee and beyond by finding and engaging student leaders at new campuses and forming formal partnerships with school administrations.
- Support and oversee recruitment processes at up to 60 local businesses and nonprofits who are recruiting tutors that will utilize the BrightPath platform and program.
Human Capital Management
- Support tutor candidates through the application process, assisting them with any questions they may have.
- Screen tutor applications, serving as the main individual in charge of evaluating whether or not a tutoring applicant is admitted into the program.
Community Development and Engagement
- Identify and develop opportunities to build internal communication and cross-collaboration among active volunteers, so that tutors feel a strong sense of community.
- A bachelor’s degree is the minimum education level required.
- Entrepreneurial and/or management experience strongly encouraged.
- Candidates must have a passion for educational equity that aligns with the missions of BrightPath and SCORE and a drive to dramatically improve outcomes for students in Tennessee.
- Candidates must have demonstrated success in project management.
- Candidates must have proven experience managing multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced, rapid-growth, high-intensity, and intellectually-demanding environment.
- Candidates must have a strong command of technology and an interest in effective utilization of technology.
- Candidates must be able to problem solve in the moment and pro-actively consult and communicate with other team members and external partners as appropriate.
- Existing connections with Tennessee colleges and universities is strongly preferred.
The hired individual will receive a monthly stipend between $5,000-$5,850 depending on performance for up to 12 months and up to $70,000, with the potential to expand their role thereafter in this quickly growing start-up.
While Tennessee has made significant progress in advancing a bold education reform plan over the last decade, there is still much to do – in K-12 education, in college and career readiness, and in postsecondary completion. The State Collaborative on Reforming Education (SCORE) plays a critical role in advancing student achievement, aligning K-12 and postsecondary, and ensuring that all students can achieve career and life success. SCORE works to monitor statewide progress in support of a prioritized agenda that drives collaboration on policy while generating proof points and providing targeted support for implementation across the state.
SCORE is an independent, nonprofit, and nonpartisan organization founded by former US Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and is dedicated to the goal that all students can achieve success in college, career, and life. SCORE supports student success in public schools across Tennessee by ensuring all schools and systems meet high expectations; preparing, recruiting, supporting, and retaining excellent teachers and leaders; and aligning K-12 and college with career and life success. SCORE is also supporting K-12 students through their new Innovation Fund, which invests in non-profits such as BrightPath Tutors that have the potential to have a profound impact on the educational landscape in Tennessee.
SCORE is based at Vanderbilt University’s John Seigenthaler Center. For more information on SCORE, please visit www.tnscore.org.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
At BrightPath and SCORE, we are committed to creating a workplace where all team members bring their whole selves to work and thrive both personally and professionally. We deeply value collaboration, optimism, excellence, and innovation in our student-centered work and in how we work together and support each other as a team. We also believe that it is important for our team to reflect the rich diversity of students in Tennessee, and we strive to intentionally create space for diverse viewpoints to meaningfully contribute to our work.
BrightPath and SCORE are equal opportunity employers. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.