Operations / Administration Health & Safety Coordinator (Part-Time)
Health & Safety Coordinator (part-time)
Part-Time (generally 20 hours per week, may require more hours during the beginning of the school year)
Reports To: Senior Director of Human Resources
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School’s mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve, and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country.
High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture, and rigorous real-world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient, self-aware, and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social, and emotional health and well-being.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential, and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The program’s three core values – respect, excellence, and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
Coordinate the health and safety aspects of student life at YouthBuild through ensuring compliance with mandatory student health-screening and immunization requirements and overseeing the school’s safety protocols.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct annual vision and growth (height and weight) screenings for all students in compliance with the mandate of the PA Department of Health
- Collect immunization data on all students upon enrollment from the City of Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania immunizations databases
- Identify those students who have not had the required immunizations, and organize opportunities for those students to receive those missing immunizations
- Complete and submit the annual online School Immunization Law Report (SILR) to the PA Department of Health by December 31 each year
- Is aware of and encourages wellness activities at school
School Safety Oversight
- Serve on the School’s Safety Committee
- Maintain awareness of current CDC/PDE recommendations for safety protocols to be implemented in schools
- Provide recommendations and guidance on school safety policies and protocols in accordance with various governing bodies, i.e. CDC, PDE, health department, etc.
- Ensure YouthBuild’s health and safety policies and protocols remain up to date
- Advise on various safety and contact tracing tools/technology, as needed
- Coordinate student wellness initiatives to include flu shot/vaccination education and clinics, etc.
- Act as formal mentor to 4 – 5 students, forging empowering relationships that ensure that the students they coach stay connected and on track
- Work in inter-departmental teams to support the success of a group of twenty five students as they move through our rigorous program
- Participate in a highly collaborative, fluid school culture that requires strong interpersonal skills and flexibility
- Participate in community-service projects as part of the service ethic of the school
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Human Resources
- PA School Nurse certificate
- 1-2 years of previous experience with or working for a similar non-profit or school
- Experience with grant and file compliance preferred
- Flexible and open to change in regulations, duties, etc.
- Works well under deadlines
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Experience with and commitment to positive youth development and cultural competence
- Mission-driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Advanced Google Suite skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
Note: If selected, you will be required to reproduce the following items on the first day of employment.
FBI – Criminal History Report
PATCH – Pennsylvania Police Department – Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
PA Child Abuse History Clearance
TB Test Results
Act 24 – Arrest Conviction Form
Act 168 – Sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form
NSOPW – National Sex Offender Clearance
The HR Department will provide the selected candidate with additional details regarding clearances and other job requirements.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee..
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.