Teacher High School Computer Science Teacher
Who We Are
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. We are looking for a dynamic, determined Founding High School AP Computer Science Teacher to lock arms with our school team at RePublic High School for the 2017-2018 school year. Prior programming experience isn’t required – but a fiery hunger to learn computer science and expand access to all kids are non-negotiables. Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
Who You Are
- A steadfast believer that all students can achieve academic excellence
- A growth-minded tinkerer who is constantly learning, improving, and hungry for feedback
- A gritty problem-solver who approaches challenges with smart solutions in mind
- An eternal optimist who supports and motivates your teammates by having their back
- A detail maven who plans backwards to meet timelines and manage complex projects
- A data-driven analyst who reflects and takes swift action based on results
- A proactive communicator who reaches out to students, families, and teammates
What You’ll Do
- Bring it. Have stamina and the ability to set and achieve ambitious goals, and handle the intensity required to bring your best self to an extended school day in a very high-performing school environment.
- Own and develop your own content and curriculum. Do the intellectual preparation needed to execute rigorous assessments, unit plans, lesson plans, and instructional materials (and develop these in conjunction with RePublic’s Director of Computer Science); demonstrate expertise in and a genuine passion for computer science that is contagious to scholars.
- Deliver strong. Dynamically lead students in whole-class and small-group settings, cultivate intellectual curiosity and a love of learning in scholars, and adjust instruction using qualitative and quantitative data to ensure student understanding and meet differentiated student needs.
- Reach higher – and sweat the small stuff. Develop, uphold, and implement RePublic’s values, policies, and systems to effectively manage a classroom and consistently lead students to meet sky-high academic and behavioral expectations.
- Never stop growing. Offer and receive constructive feedback from colleagues in order to create a professional working atmosphere that aspires to excellence and is conducive to constant improvement; dive humbly into school-wide and individual professional development, including pre-service training over the summer and weekly sessions during the academic year.
- Spread the love. Build deep relationships with students, families, and staff to foster a culture of joy and community. Maintain strong lines of communication with families about student progress, and go above and beyond to support and collaborate closely with teammates in the united pursuit of RePublic’s mission.
The Fine Print
- All candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree is preferred.
- All full-time RePublic teachers must have a valid Tennessee teaching license, or willingness/eligibility to pursue state certification, if necessary.
- Passion for expanding access to computer science education (especially to students who are historically underrepresented in the field) AND a fierce hunger to learn computer science are absolutely necessary;
- RePublic’s computer science model is based off of the idea that we can train teachers with no former programming experience to code alongside scholars.
- Thus, while prior experience teaching computer science is ideal, no former computer programming experience is required – though a strong background in science and math is preferred.
- Prior Experience. Prior experience teaching STEM subjects, experience teaching in a low-income community, and a demonstrated ability to raise achievement levels of traditionally underserved students are highly preferred.
- Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at RePublic includes a comprehensive benefits package.