Teacher High School English Teacher
Who we are:
Alpha Public Schools is a public charter school network of four schools educating approximately 1,800 scholars in east San Jose. Guided by the belief that our students belong in college, we ensure safe, inclusive, and student-centered learning environments to help our students thrive. What sets us apart is the very thing that makes us who we are– our community. Alpha was founded by a group of mothers on the eastside of San Jose who sought better educational opportunities for their students. We maintain a strong connection to our community and engage families in a collaborative approach to offer a holistic education to our students.
What we offer:
At Alpha we care deeply about our scholars and staff. To support our team (and hopefully you!) we offer:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and credential status (as well as compounding retention incentives for returning Alpha teachers)
- Health benefits plans for medical, vision, and dental insurance coverage for staff and their families
- Retirement matching options
- Paid time off for holidays and breaks (6 weeks throughout the school year in addition to 6 weeks during the summer)
- Generous paternity/maternity leave benefits including 4 weeks of paid parental leave in addition to the state and federal leave allowances
- Paid tuition for Induction and reimbursement for passing scores on credential required exams
- Employee Assistance Program that provides access to professional services for workplace, life, and wellbeing support and services
- Relocation assistance for teammates moving from 250+ miles away
About this Role:
As a teacher at Alpha you will join a team that upholds high expectations, fosters social development, and facilitates the intellectual growth of our scholars while leading from a place of empathy and understanding. We are seeking passionate individuals who embody Alpha’s mission, vision and core beliefs, and who are reflective in their practice. If you are committed to amplifying and celebrating the diverse experiences of our scholars and their families, and you care deeply about educational equity and inclusivity, Alpha is the place for you!
What you’ll do…
Lead an academically rigorous classroom through activities such as:
- Develop lesson plans and supplementary materials to teach English
- Teach curricula aligned to Common Core standards along with social and emotional skills
- Assess and analyze students’ performance and progress to ensure they are mastering developmental skills regularly, and responding to data to support all scholars to achieve academic success
Build Relationships with our scholars, passionate staff, and committed families
- Maintain an open line of communication with families
- Work to maintain a positive culture on campus by building strong relationships with scholars and staff members
- Successfully strike a balance of warm and demanding in your communication with scholars
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior for a productive learning environment during class sessions
- Engage in professional development opportunities provided by Alpha
- Receive and implement feedback from experienced educational coaches
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with and learn from colleagues
- Be committed to growing your teaching through independent study and research
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A valid (or eligible for) California teaching credential- Single Subject English
- Subject matter expertise and strong classroom management skills
- A strong commitment not only to our students, but also to your own continuous professional development. You possess the ability to receive and implement feedback quickly.
You stand out by being…
- Committed: You are committed to working with students in traditionally underserved communities. Approximately 80% of Alpha’s students are from under-resourced communities and will be the first in their families to go to college. The majority of our students are Latinx and/or Vietnamese.
- Collaborative: You are team-oriented and are able to implement school-wide systems effectively and consistently.
- Organized: You are self-motivated and reliable, with the ability to plan and execute tasks.
- Experienced: You have taught in an under-resourced community, and/or you have a background of shared experience with our scholars.
- Bilingual: Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
Join our team…
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter online.
Alpha Public Schools is a network of four high-performing public charter schools founded by a group of East San José mothers dedicated to helping transform their community. We have a strong growth mindset – as individuals, as an organization, and on behalf of our students and families. We want to be better tomorrow than we are today.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
Salary is competitive and compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org