Teacher High School Humanities Teacher
High School Humanities Teacher
Colorado High School Charter is seeking a Humanities Teacher at our GES campus in Denver, Colorado for the 2021-2022 school year. Colorado High School provides students with a unique and innovative learning experience that allows them to recover credits through project-based core content classes (Math, Science, Social Studies and English Language Arts) while taking advantage of numerous concurrent enrollment and community partnership opportunities in a learning environment committed to equity and inclusivity.
Colorado High School Charter Overview
Colorado High School Charter (CHSC) is a grades 9-12 public charter school in Denver whose mission is to transform the alternative education experience by igniting the potential within each of the diverse young people we serve. CHSC is one of the leading alternative education campuses in Denver, with student achievement data consistently showing notable growth. As an educator at CHSC, you will have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with your students while receiving regular coaching and professional development to allow you to deliver exceptional instruction for students who have not found success elsewhere. Learn more at our website: www.coloradohighschoolcharter.com
What makes teaching at CHSC exciting?
- Constant learning through weekly coaching and professional development
- A focus on student personal and academic growth achieved through tailored curricula, a supportive school environment and community partnerships
- Social emotional support for students to remove barriers in and out of the classroom so ALL students can be successful
- A great staff culture that regularly celebrates student and staff achievement
- We are growing. CHSC has experienced increased enrollment; word is spreading about the amazing work we do.
What do we look for in candidates?
- You are committed to equitable and inclusive practices, inside and outside of the classroom. Understanding that continuous professional learning and individual desire will move our learning community in the desired direction for all students, families and staff members.
- You are passionate about education in an alternative education setting and are excited about Colorado High School’s mission.
- You recognize the value of learning through real-world application and are eager to help all students consider a range of satisfying career paths.
- You are excited about the opportunity to engage students inside and outside of the classroom through experiential and project-based learning.
- You have experience or a strong desire to work with young people who have struggled personally or academically in conventional school settings.
- You are tenacious about your own professional growth and have the ability to seek and apply feedback to improve your practice.
- You’re entrepreneurial, innovative and willing to do “whatever it takes.”
- You value developing trusting and often transformative relationships with students.
- You are a team player who helps create a positive and vibrant school culture for both staff and students.
- Candidates from diverse backgrounds and/or bilingual in English/Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
The Humanities teacher will teach multiple sections of mixed-level high school Social Studies and English content to students over the course of four academic quarters.
Humanities Teacher Responsibilities:
- Curriculum development with an emphasis on problem-based and experiential learning in both ELA and Social Studies content areas
- Deliver engaging, standards-aligned project-based learning curricula
- Develop and provide capstone competency demonstrations for students to show mastery of core high school skills
- Manage the classroom effectively by developing quality relationships and high expectations for students to maintain a productive learning environment, based on culturally responsive practices.
- Co-teach and collaborate with colleagues to meet student learning needs
- Positively impact achievement and differentiate instruction based on the needs of students
- Work collaboratively with students, families, and colleagues
- Support and actively participate in professional learning communities, professional development, and staff team-building exercises
- Utilize multiple online platforms to monitor attendance, post grades, and deliver student assignments
- Support and willingly engage with Restorative Justice practices
- Conduct after-school study halls to support student achievement
- Collaborate with peers, instructional coach, and administration to refine practices
- Engage families and community members through phone calls, CHSC Parent/Teacher conferences and Family Nights
- Develop meaningful and positive relationships with students
- Other duties as assigned by the School Leadership Team
Work hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with occasional evening commitments for school events.
Colorado High School Charter seeks candidates with strong character, passion for supporting students of diverse backgrounds and needs, and a relentless commitment to improvement and learning.
- One of the following:
- Subject matter endorsement on a Colorado teaching license. Dual subject endorsement (English and Social Studies) preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with major in subject matter
- 36 semester credit hours in subject matter
- Passing score in subject matter on Praxis exam
- Commitment to equitable and inclusive practices through professional learning and individual desire
- Strong knowledge of teaching methods, learning styles and educational research related to secondary learners
- Ability to align curriculum, performance tasks, and assessments with state content standards
- Strong communication, organization, and planning skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport quickly, facilitating positive relationships with students and coworkers
- Problem solving skills
- Proficiency in the use of technology
- Permanent US work authorization
- Experience working with young people who have struggled personally or academically in conventional school settings.
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience and include a comprehensive benefits package. Teachers are eligible for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.
Submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHSC proudly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Colorado High School Charter does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its programs and activities.
Colorado High School Charter is transforming the alternative education experience by igniting the potential within each of the diverse young people we serve. CHSC ensures students’ personal and academic growth by creating tailored curricula, a supportive school environment, and community partnerships. We empower our students to succeed in life and positively contribute to their families and communities by offering them the freedom and resources to pursue a post-secondary path aligned with their individualized goals.