Principal or Vice Principal High School Principal – Jalen Rose Leadership Academy
Job Summary: The Jalen Rose Leadership Academy (JRLA) High School Principal serves as the instructional leader and is held accountable for creating and inspiring a positive school culture that embodies our core values. JRLA’s Principal is data-driven and results-oriented and strongly believes in all scholars’ ability to succeed.
Established in 2011 by NBA Veteran and current ABC/ESPN Analyst Jalen Rose and Co-Founder Michael Carter, JRLA is located on the Northwest side of Detroit in the zip code where Jalen grew up. An open enrollment, tuition-free, public charter high school, JRLA provides a leadership-focused education to 420 scholars and nearly 800 alumni. The mission is to empower all scholars to develop the strength of character, skills, and knowledge needed to matriculate, be great in, and graduate from college or a post-secondary program so that they have the opportunities to be successful in the competitive world and take care of themselves and the people they love.
JRLA is built around a 9-16 model where scholars are supported through not only high school graduation but college graduation or post-secondary pursuits as well. A recent report showed that JRLA ranks No. 3 in the city among all open-enrollment high schools when enrolling its graduates in college. The school was only one of three high schools in Detroit that sent more than half its 2021 graduates to college. Prior to the pandemic, US News ranked JRLA No. 3 among open enrollment high schools in Detroit based on its college readiness levels, math and reading proficiency, and college curriculum.
As Principal of the Jalen Rose Leadership Academy, you will enhance the mission and vision for school culture and academics. You are also responsible for evaluating the instructional program based on scholar needs and state guidelines. As our Principal, you will coordinate, supervise, and evaluate staff, including implementing the Coaching Cycle. In addition to providing instructional leadership, our Principal is responsible for strategically implementing and managing all aspects of school performance and operations. Our Principal should also bring an entrepreneurial spirit, innovative approach, and best practices to their work.
At JRLA, we don’t just educate students; we cultivate scholars by tapping into the intrinsic powers of respect, determination, excellence, and family. With this vision, scholars unleash the transformative powers of learning to manifest a better fate for themselves and the people that they love. JRLA is authorized by Central Michigan University.
The Jalen Rose Leadership Academy is managed by Phalen Leadership Academies (PLA), a transformative educational network working to create great schools and improve student outcomes.
Essential Job Tasks:
● Responsible for retaining over 90% of enrolled scholars during the year and meeting Day 1 budgeted enrollment goals for the campus
● Executes and implements the JRLA and PLA Academic Model
● Responsible for retaining 90% of highly effective teachers
● Ensures year-over-year increase in the percentage of students meeting or surpassing grade-level college readiness benchmarks on the PSAT (Grades 9-10) and SAT (Grade 11) based on grade-level cohorts
● Ensures the school maintains a daily average student and teacher attendance rate of 90% or higher
● Ensure that 100% of lower-performing teachers are coached up one performance level in the PLA Coaching Cycle by providing weekly observations and feedback
● Responsible for 80% satisfaction from key stakeholders (parents, scholars, staff) based on data collected
● Identify academic gaps within grade levels and across content areas, then develop and execute a plan to increase rigor and student engagement that results in improved student outcomes
● Other duties as assigned
Minimum Job Qualifications:
● Master’s degree from an accredited college or university
● Completion of a state-approved administrator preparation program, with at least 18 semester hours of graduate credit in K-12 school administration
● Proven success of significantly increasing High School student’s proficiency
● Persistent, adaptable, entrepreneurial, and goal driven
● Strong belief in the learning potential of all scholars
Why should you apply?
PLA offers student loan forgiveness and support (for those that qualify), competitive salary and benefits beyond the local district, robust Professional Development, leverage & integrated technology, appreciation and recognition year-round, participation in free Summer programs & job training programs for your dependents, and additional income opportunities.
● Time management
● Impact and influence
This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time, with or without notice.