Teacher High School Science Teacher 2017-18 ( Leave Replacement)
Harlem Village Academies
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban K-12 school model based on the principles of progressive education. Located in Harlem, HVA is also the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Progressive Educational Philosophy
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement, and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love learning, to be articulate and reflective. With teachers as adept guides, students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with questions, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting.
Constant Learning for Teachers
We give our faculty access to the most accomplished master teachers and the most sophisticated professional learning opportunities in the country. We are learning every day, meeting frequently to discuss our instruction, reflect on our lessons, and improve our pedagogy. We are passionate about creating a rich intellectual life for ourselves and our students.
Who We’re Looking For
Our teachers are smart, passionate educators who believe that all students can learn at the highest level. We look for teachers with a track record of high performance, who inspire students to love learning, and who play very well with others.
- Plan and teach highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with HVA’s standards and progressive pedagogical philosophy
- Invest several hours per week in professional learning, including personalized instructional coaching, co-planning, department meetings, grade level meetings, and other learning work
- Build strong, lasting relationships with students, inspiring them to hold themselves to a high standard of academics and character
- Establish and uphold classroom expectations that support students to develop increased agency, responsible autonomy, and ownership over learning
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform your instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- Contribute to the school community by attending school events, leading a club, reading group, athletic team, or other initiative
- Two years of science (physics, earth science, physical science, chemistry, biology, etc.) teaching experience in grades 7-12 preferred
- A commitment to progressive science pedagogy e.g. using inquiry, experiments, and discussion to help students think like scientists and develop deep conceptual understanding
- Strong track record of student achievement in your past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported, and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Highly thoughtful and reflective, committed to always getting smarter with colleagues, reflecting on mistakes, welcoming feedback, and making continual adjustments in your practice
How to ApplyHow to Apply First, learn about us! Review our website (www.harlemvillageacademies.org) and consider whether Harlem Village Academies is the place for you. If it is, apply through the Careers section of our website (https://harlemvillageacademies.secure.force.com/careers). Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
82 total views, 1 today