Teacher High School Special Education Teacher
About STRIVE Preparatory Schools:
Founded in 2006, STRIVE Preparatory Schools (STRIVE Prep) is a Denver-based community of free, open enrollment, public charter schools committed to providing every student with an excellent, college-preparatory education. We believe that students from all backgrounds deserve a college preparatory education regardless of race, economic circumstance or previous academic achievement. We are committed to preparing all students for educational success from kindergarten through college and career by challenging them to realize their full potential through high expectations in a safe, rigorous, and compassionate learning environment with shared accountability among students, families and staff.
Our teachers, leaders, faculty and staff clear a path for all families to have access to a high-quality school that’s just down the street, not across town. By building great schools in Far Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Denver, we will create depth of impact and long-lasting community change.
At STRIVE Prep, transformation is a choice that has led to:
- The opening of 11 free, public charter schools within Denver Public Schools (DPS) throughout Far Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Denver.
- A shared vision of making a college prep education for all students in our community the norm, rather than the exception, by growing from 11 schools serving 3,500 students to 17 schools serving 7,500 students by the year 2022.
- A commitment to serve all students from the neighborhoods in which we operate, whereby approximately 97% of STRIVE Prep students identify as students of color, 87% of students qualify for free or reduced lunch, 49% are English Language Learners and 13% receive Special Education services.
- 92% of seniors from the network’s first graduating class in 2016 were accepted to a 4-year college or university.
- The welcoming of any scholar from kindergarten through twelfth grade who desires to STRIVE for college. Because STRIVE Prep participates in the DPS SchoolChoice process, enrollment is open to any student in the communities we serve regardless of race, economic circumstance or previous academic achievement.
About STRIVE Prep – RISE:
- STRIVE Prep – RISE opened its doors to 9th grade students in the Far Northeast community of Denver in the Fall of 2016 and joined STRIVE Prep – SMART and STRIVE Prep – Excel as the third high school in the STRIVE Prep network. In the 2017-2018 school year, STRIVE Prep – RISE will welcome their first class of 10th grade scholars.
- Teachers and leaders at STRIVE Prep – RISE focus on empowering students to become critical thinkers, lifelong learners, and compassionate members of their communities. By participating in required service learning opportunities, the STRIVE Prep – RISE school community develops and practices their engagement throughout the year.
- The rigorous college preparatory curriculum at STRIVE Prep – RISE will include mandatory Advanced Placement coursework and a robust offering of extracurricular activities.
- Find out more about STRIVE Prep – RISE, the Far Northeast community, and the Principal, Elisha Roberts, on our website at www.striveprep.org.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create, review and implement Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) for students.
- Effectively progress monitor student achievement and gather evidence in order to deliver individualized instruction and supports that are aligned to students’ goals.
- Plan and teach at least one section of reading, math, or English Language Development intervention, and/or plan and teach one section of PE (teacher’s choice, i.e. yoga, crossfit, weightlifting etc.).
- Lead an advisory that assists in planning and supporting school-wide events including Morning Meetings and off-campus learning opportunities.
- Collaborate with general education teachers, school leaders, curriculum specialists and the special education team to ensure that instruction is always meeting the needs of all learners.
- Use network-aligned unit and interim assessments to track student growth.
- Analyze student assessment data and use it to determine next steps.
- Assist with necessary school-wide systems to ensure a successful school day including (but not limited to) supervisory duties on a rotating basis in the morning, during lunch and after school.
- Chaperone community service learning projects, college campus visits and local trips with students.
- Complete and submit all necessary paperwork in a timely and professional manner.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings and professional development.
- Maintain a positive, safe and organized learning environment for all students.
- Learn and utilize Restorative Justice practices in the classroom.
- Communicate regularly and often with families (by phone, email and/or home visits) to both solicit their input and share student social/emotional and academic progress.
- Actively participate in all teams including grade-level, content, and other teams designated by the leadership at STRIVE Prep – RISE.
- Provide fair, accurate, and constructive feedback to students on their progress.
- Update gradebooks on a weekly basis.
- Participate in summer Culture Academy in June 2017 for a stipend, and attend STRIVE Prep’s Summer Training Institute in July 2017, as well as other professional development throughout the school year.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Our Aspiring Teachers:
- Consciously choose to teach and transform the lives of high school scholars every day as a founding teacher at a growing school.
- Proudly hold a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree (required) and a license to teach Special Education in Colorado, or be able to:
- Add a Special Education Endorsement to a current Colorado Teacher License; OR
- Transfer a Special Education license from another state; OR
- Enroll in an alternative licensure program to obtain a Special Education license.
- Read more about the available pathways to becoming a Qualified Special Education Teacher.
- Understand, appreciate and can pull from experience teaching in an urban setting (strongly preferred).
- Speak Spanish or have experience working with bilingual students (strongly preferred).
- Commit to constant growth, reflection, and implementation as educators and professionals through regular coaching and professional development.
- Dedicate themselves to the educational success of all students, not some students.
- Bring enthusiasm, professionalism, and positivity to their classrooms and our adult community.
- Assume the best in others and are willing to have courageous conversations in order to do what is best for students.
- Work hard and approach challenges as opportunities for improvement.
- Set high expectations for themselves and others and a willingness to hold themselves and others to those expectations.
- Demonstrate a strong collaborative mindset and the ability to work on a team.
- Maintain emotional control under stress and act professionally with and in front of students.
- Display strong attention to detail, self-directed problem solving, leadership, and creative thinking.
- Believe in and commit to the mission of STRIVE Prep – RISE including the mindset that every student can and will achieve.
What we Offer our Teachers:
- Ongoing coaching and professional development.
- 100 minutes of structured planning time built into the school day to plan the highest quality lessons.
- A laptop and access to classrooms equipped with Smartboards and document cameras.
- Competitive compensation package and annual performance based raises.
- Participation in the Colorado PERA retirement program including a PERA 401k contribution option.
- Funding of 100% of individual medical benefits and a wide range of insurance plans.
- Additional stipends available for participation in athletic and extracurricular programs.
This position begins July 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
STRIVE Prep is an equal opportunity employer.
Visit our Careers Page at http://www.striveprep.org/join-our-team/teach-at-strive/ to learn more about what to expect in the hiring process and who we need.
How to ApplyTo apply click here!
45 total views, 1 today