Instructional Support Instructor- Denver Math Fellow
The mission of the Denver Fellows program is to close the opportunity gap by providing small group math and literacy instruction for our highest needs students in order to accelerate their academic growth in preparation for college and career.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
Fellows serve full-time for an entire school year. They work with small groups of no more than four students at a time. As a fellow, you will help students by building strong relationships, individualizing lesson plans using provided curriculum, planning activities that help fill in academic gaps and support grade level instruction, as well as provide mentoring.
- Identify gaps in student understanding and work with students on the mastery of math or reading material.
- Create a culture of high academic and behavioral expectations for all students.
- Use grade level lesson plans in order to support what students are learning in their classes.
- Work with students to set and track progress toward short term and long term goals.
- Actively participate in professional development activities necessary to successfully carry out job-related duties.
- Meet with Fellow Coordinator in order to receive coaching and feedback.
- Conduct positive phone calls home to update families on student progress.
This is a subject area where there is always a high need for teachers and support staff. Many people feel as though they do not have the backgrounds that prepare them for a position like this, but often it is those who struggled in math while in school that make the biggest impact with students. You will be working with students who are preforming below grade level, often working on elementary level math or early algebra skills.
YOU WILL GAIN
- A salary of $23,100 per year
- Medical, vision and dental benefits options
- The ability to build positive relationships with students and colleagues
- A flexible attitude and disposition
- Ability to plan ahead and stay organized
- Ability to communicate with diverse groups of people
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Applicants with an associate’s degree and demonstrated proficiencies in the above qualifications are encouraged to apply
Denver Fellow positions are an ideal service year for recent college graduates from any major, career changers considering teaching and retirees from a range of fields. Fellows come from all across the country and world to participate. We value team members from all races, ethnicities, economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, genders, physical abilities, political and religious beliefs. Increasing the diversity of our fellow corps and team is critical to our ability to close opportunity gaps and provide a high quality experience for our students.
We value each individual who commits to a service year with Denver Fellows and is a member of our team working toward a common mission and vision. At the same time, we place a particular emphasis on a fellow corps and team that reflects the racial and economic backgrounds of the students we serve. In terms of race we place significant focus on ensuring the representation of Latino and African American individuals given that more than 90% of the students we serve share these backgrounds. More information on our student population and our commitment to diversity can be found on our website.
DENVER PUBLIC SCHOOLS Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of 185 schools, including traditional, magnet, charter and pathways schools, with an enrollment of 88,000 students. Of those, 58% of the school district’s enrollment is Hispanic, 20% is Caucasian, and 15% is African American. Seventy-two percent of the district’s students qualify for free and reduced lunch.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors.
How to ApplyVisit www.denverfellows.com, click on "Learn More", and fill out our interest form.
770 total views, 1 today