Teacher K-8 Teachers
Position Title: Teacher
Reports to: This position reports to and is evaluated by the School Principal
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Michigan Teacher Certification
Position Description: The classroom teacher will be responsible for planning and implementing high quality instruction to all students. He or she will use a variety of methodologies and curriculum resources to ensure that all students meet grade level content expectations.
- Deliver engaging high quality instruction to all students;
- Utilize a variety of researched-based instructional techniques, strategies, and methods;
- Implement a tiered system of instruction within the classroom to meet the needs of all students;
- Hold ongoing instructional-specific conversations focused on improving student learning;
- Collaborate to create and execute clear, logical instructional plans that produce strong results in student learning;
- Integrate technology in instruction, planning and communication;
- Coordinate instruction within and across grade levels;
- Demonstrate successful teaching techniques and classroom management skills as defined by the District’s evaluation tool;
- Create a learning environment that is conducive for learning;
- Design a physical environment that uses classroom space, walls and room arrangement to support effective learning and communication;
- Build meaningful, caring relationships with students;
- Motivate students and influence their behaviors;
- Use appropriate tone and language when redirecting students;
- Actively participate in the Teaching for Learning Cycle which requires analyzing data, completing action plans, delivering re-teach lessons and reflecting on the instructional learning cycle;
- Participate and adhere to all specialized student plans i.e. Individual Educational Plans (IEPs), 504, Behavior Plans, etc.
- Utilize the multi-tiered system of support to identify and address barriers to learning;
- Design and utilize formative assessments to modify and adjust instruction on a daily basis;
- Collect and analyze data to inform instructional decisions;
- Contribute to a professional environment that is one of mutual respect, teamwork, and accountability;
- Adheres to the District’s and School’s policies, expectations, and protocols as outlined in the District’s Policies and Procedures Manual and School’s Procedures Manual.
Required Competencies & Skills:
- Achieve results by taking risks and reflecting and acting on lessons learned;
- Maintain his/her drive for results by demonstrating persistence, directness, and the ability to monitor and plan ahead;
- Possess the aptitude to discuss subject specific content instruction and the drive to try out new ideas to improve student learning;
- Achieve outstanding student achievement results in a short amount of time;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills;
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships and work effectively in a collaborative environment;
- Possess a track record of leadership, integrity, initiative, curiosity and perseverance;
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written), interpret policy and procedures, maintain emotional control under stress;
- Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a professional;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel and the Google Suite;
- Express a commitment to relentless pursuit of increasing student learning; and
- Ability to skillfully challenge the status quo.
Physical Requirements: Light Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force as frequently as needed to move objects; Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pushing and pulling.
Terms of Employment: Salary benefits shall be paid consistent with the District’s approved compensation plan. Length of the work year and hours of employment shall be those established by the District.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated by the School Principal in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of personnel.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by sending a letter of interest, resume, and credentials to:
Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences
Ms. J. Harris, HR/Business Office
2985 E. Jefferson Ave.
Detroit, MI 48207