Teacher Licensed School Nurse
About Great Oaks Charter Schools
At Great Oaks, students will shape the world, not be defined by it. Therefore, we believe that children learn best through a combination of project-based, authentic learning experiences, and direct instruction to support skill development and accelerate learning. Instruction and culture are grounded in our design principles of Mastery, Leadership, and Community. As part of the model, Great Oaks Americorps Fellows provide students with additional opportunities to engage in critical content, which helps to close academic achievement gaps and level the playing field. We are seeking talented, tenacious people who share our belief that all students deserve a high-quality education.
About Great Oaks Charter School – Wilmington
Great Oaks (GO) Charter School – Wilmington opened in downtown Wilmington in the fall of 2015. This school year, Great Oaks – Wilmington serves 550 in 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th grades. Great Oaks – Wilmington will grow to serve students in grades 6th -12th by adding on one-grade level each year until we reach full enrollment.
The licensed school nurse provides emergency medical services, administers medication, conducts routine health screenings and creates and implements wellness initiatives. The licensed school nurse is an integral part of our school providing education, guidance, and counseling on health-related topics for the Great Oaks school community.
Key responsibilities include:
- Using best nursing practices, provide skillful emergency medical care and administer medications to students
- Assessing medical conditions of students and working with families to take appropriate actions based on students’ needs
- Establishing and maintaining appropriate record-keeping procedures for student health records including immunization records, in accordance with Delaware mandates
- Performing health-related screenings including, but not limited to, hearing, vision, and dental assessments and scoliosis screenings
- Developing and conducting trainings and workshops on health-related topics for students, families, and staff
- Providing education and counseling to students and families concerning medical issues
- Participating in evaluations, re-evaluations, and meetings where medical input or consultation is needed
Competencies and Qualifications
The successful candidate will be committed to providing compassionate care to all students and be adept at partnering with families and school staff to promote health and wellbeing.
The successful candidate will also have:
- A valid RN license issued by the Delaware State Department of Health
- Two years of experience in nursing with at least one year in a school setting
- A Valid CPR certification
- Knowledge of compliance procedures for reporting and student health record-keeping that is in accordance with current Delaware mandates
- A commitment to working with students and families in an underserved, urban community
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills that include an excellent ability to interact in a kind and thoughtful manner with students and families
- An excitement to proactively contribute to our school community by proposing and implementing new initiatives that promote good health
- Experience in facilitating trainings and workshops on health-related topics such as sex education and nutrition preferred
- A strong belief that all students can succeed
- Excellent ability to stay organized in a fast-paced environment
- A do-whatever-it takes attitude including a willingness to work occasionally on the weekend or in the evening
- An exceptional ability to respond well to feedback and implement it immediately
Great Oaks provides a competitive compensation and benefits package; exact compensation will vary based on experience and education.
Selected candidates will be contacted to set up a phone interview.