Research and Policy Manager, Economic Mobility, America Forward
Time-bound position: 24 months
About America Forward and New Profit
New Profit is a pioneering national venture philanthropy organization that backs breakthrough social entrepreneurs who are advancing equity and opportunity in America. New Profit invests in visionary leaders — both social entrepreneurs and system entrepreneurs — to help them scale high-impact solutions and achieve systemic change. To date, New Profit has invested over $150 million in scaling innovative organizations’ impact.
America Forward is the DC-based nonpartisan policy initiative of New Profit. America Forward’s mission is to unite social innovators with policymakers to translate local impact into national change. America Forward advances an education, workforce development, poverty alleviation, and social innovation public policy agenda that advances equity, fosters innovation,and rewards results. Staff of America Forward direct a Coalition of more than 100 leading social innovation organizations that champion innovative, effective, and equitable solutions to our country’s most pressing social problems. Our America Forward Coalition members are achieving measurable outcomes in more than 15,000 communities nationwide, touching the lives of 9 million Americans, and driving progress in early learning, K-12 and post secondary education, workforce development, poverty alleviation, national service, social innovation, pay for success and evidence-based policy. America Forward believes that our nation’s social innovators can lead the way to unlocking America’s potential. Together, we have leveraged $1.7 billion for evidence-based social innovation and have driven millions of federal resources toward programs that are achieving measurable results for those who need them most.
About the Position
America Forward’s Economic Mobility Manager will be responsible for supporting America Forward’s federal policy and advocacy efforts to advance economic mobility as set forth in its Workforce Development and Economic Justice platform.
In close coordination with America Forward’s Policy Director, Policy Manager, Government Affairs Director, senior consultants, and members of the America Forward Coalition, the Economic Mobility Manager will play a central role in developing and advocating for federal policy solutions that advance America Forward’s workforce development agenda in pursuit of economic mobility. The Economic Mobility Manager will address an array of high-priority policy issues, such as scaling proven workforce development programs and building evidence on promising models; improving data and performance assessment to enable stronger decision-making by participants, local leaders, and policymakers across the system; and empowering innovative, coordinated efforts to better leverage funds to improve participants’ long-term economic mobility and strengthen equity.
This position is a full time position. This project will last 24 months and offers will reflect this time frame.
The starting salary for this role is $80,000, to be adjusted based on experience.
America Forward’s Economic Mobility Manager will:
- Develop new policy solutions, in collaboration with colleagues, to address the most pressing issues in workforce development and postsecondary policy to advance economic mobility, ranging from reforming the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act to recommended administrative actions by federal agencies
- Analyze evidence and research, and directly engage with partners and practitioners, to assess the viability of policy options and opportunities
- Draft compelling communications materials translating policy recommendations and perspectives to policymakers and stakeholders across the workforce development system to strengthen economic mobility
- Engage in and support outreach to federal policymakers–including officials in Congress, the U.S. Department of Labor, and the U.S. Department of Education–regarding America Forward’s workforce development policy priorities
- Analyze the policy and political landscape for America Forward and America Forward Coalition members, and report on policy activities such as the introduction and action on relevant bills; congressional briefings; federal agency initiatives, such as rulemakings, guidance, or grant notices; and activities by key policy leaders and thought partners
- Support America Forward’s organization-wide efforts to support America Forward Coalition members in federal policy engagement and skill-building through our Advocacy Institute briefings
- Actively engage with America Forward Coalition members leading breakthrough workforce development programs and help manage America Forward’s Workforce Development & Economic Justice Task Force
- 2-5 years of experience, which can include postgraduate education, in policy and/or politics, such as experience working on Capitol Hill, an administrative department/agency, or a think tank or policy advocacy organization
- Experience in policy issues related to economic mobility, human capability, and equity (e.g., in fields such as workforce development, career and technical education, postsecondary education, or public benefits policy)
- Adept at policy research and analysis, including a sufficient understanding of research methods to quickly assess key takeaways from policy papers and technical publications and to identify potential methodological limitations regarding research findings
- Flexibility and willingness to travel occasionally (particularly to New Profit’s Boston office)
- Experience working with a coalition of organizations or in another collaborative setting
- Direct experience in workforce development issues, such as with a workforce policy organization, workforce agency, or a training provider or intermediary
- Experience or familiarity with social innovation, social entrepreneurship, and the nonprofit sector
- Excellent written communication skills; ability to synthesize complex information and ideas into clear, concise, and compelling written materials, ranging from longer-form reports to short-form policy briefs and one-pagers
- Ability to understand substantive policy ideas and effectively communicate about them to a wide variety of audiences
- Excellent verbal communication skills; ability to craft messages that resonate with multiple audiences from policymakers, to member organizations, to funders
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as a part of a mostly DC-based team, connected to a larger Boston-based organization; ability to work collaboratively with a team of DC-based senior policy consultants
- Willing and able to do operational work as a member of a team
- Ability to thrive and learn in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment
- Passion for New Profit and America Forward’s missions, social entrepreneurship, and systems change; deep commitment to pursuing equity