Reporter or Editor Managing Editor/Content
FOR KAPPAN MAGAZINE, A DIVISION OF PDK INTERNATIONAL
Phi Delta Kappan is published eight times a year (80 pages per issue) as a primary benefit for members of Phi Delta Kappa, a professional organization working to ensure that every child has meaningful opportunities to succeed in K-12 education.
Launched in 1915, Kappan is one of the nation’s leading publications devoted to primary and secondary education. We publish on a wide range of topics (including classroom instruction, school leadership, teacher development, equity issues, career and technical education, special education, arts programming, and more), promoting lively discussion and debate among education policy makers, advocates, researchers, and practitioners. The most recent issue may be viewed at kappanonline.org.
The ideal candidate will be an exceptional writer and editor with a passionate interest in K-12 education and a sophisticated understanding of key topics and trends in education research, policy, and practice.
Further, the ideal candidate will be:
- A mid- to senior-level professional, with at least five years of work experience in publishing, communications, and/or education research, practice, and advocacy.
- Able to assess strengths and weaknesses in submissions and to guide authors in revising their work to meet the high standards expected by Kappan
- Able to work independently and to take the initiative to begin, complete, and juggle many tasks
- Able to work closely with a designer to present information in a variety of formats and media.
- Able to plan and assign or develop online content to enhance Kappan and kappanonline.org
- Able to build and maintain relationships with leading academic researchers, policy advocates, and school practitioners.
- Excellent at communicating with contributing authors, readers, and other staff members.
- Skilled at a variety of technical tasks related to editing, including planning issues, copyediting, and proofreading. Experience with content management systems is a bonus.
This position is based in Arlington, Va. (just across the river from Washington, D.C.). Occasional travel is required.
PDK strives to be a diverse, nonpartisan, intellectually welcoming, and family-friendly workplace.
PDK International offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
How to ApplyYour resume and cover letter will serve as your application.
- To be considered for this role, submit your resume and cover letter to HR@pdkintl.org with the subject line: MANAGING EDITOR.
- Deadline for applications is November 1, 2017.
182 total views, 1 today