Instructional Support Math Associate (Curriculum Writer)
Who We Are
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. We are looking for a dynamic, determined Math Associate to lock arms with our school teams in Nashville, TN for the 2016-2017 school year. Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the Director of Math, RePublic’s Math Associate will execute on RePublic’s vision and strategy for math instruction across the growing RePublic Schools network by developing high-quality math curriculum for either lower (5th-6th grade) or upper (7th-8th grade) middle school students.
The Math Associate will:
- Help to create a culture of problem solving at RePublic Schools by:
- getting adults and children excited about problem solving,
- collaborating with teachers and leaders to make the problem solving curriculum come alive across schools,
- leading the adoption of Cognitively Guided Instruction as our approach to problem solving in 5th and 6th grades, and
- tirelessly advocating for the power of math to solve worthwhile problems!
- Develop a visionary, engaging and rigorous math curriculum that inspires intellectual curiosity and a love of math. The curriculum is driven by a deep understanding of mathematical concepts, scholar work, and the most effective teaching practices. To accomplish this goal, the Math Associate will execute a redesign of either the 5th and 6th grade math curriculum to emphasize numeracy and problem solving or the 7th and 8th grade math curriculum to emphasize preparedness for high school level and Advanced Placement math courses.
- Produce unit and lesson plans, create math assessments, curate an anthology of high-quality story problems for use during the problem solving block, lead professional development for middle school teachers, and analyze math assessment data.
- Observe math instruction across our network of schools and support school leaders in prioritizing next steps for teachers to ensure that math instruction is implemented at a consistently high level across the network.
- Creating systems to ensure leaders and teachers use data to drive math
Who You Are
Our ideal Math Associate will have an unwavering belief that all students can achieve at an exceptionally high level. Beyond that, a successful candidate will have:
- An abiding passion for and deep knowledge of mathematics;
- A minimum of 2 years teaching experience preferred with demonstrated high student achievement;
- Demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly, succinctly and persuasively such that expectations are clear, timelines are delineated, and excellence is defined;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities from a variety of sources, organizing and prioritizing effectively to impact areas of greatest need;
- Experience organizing and running effective meetings across an organization;
- Ability to deconstruct complex problems and develop coherent, actionable strategies;
- A bachelor’s degree with a preference for a graduate degree in a related field.
- Sense of humility in the face of success; and
- Passionate belief in RePublic’s mission, values, and educational model.
Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at RePublic includes a comprehensive benefits package.