Teacher Middle School Bilingual Science Teacher
This is an ELA-S position, so we can only consider candidates for this position that are fluent in both oral and written Spanish and able to pass the Spanish Language Proficiency (SLP) exam. Please read the entire job description for more details.
About STRIVE Preparatory Schools:
Founded in 2006, STRIVE Preparatory Schools (STRIVE Prep) is a Denver-based community of free, open enrollment, public charter schools committed to providing every student with an excellent, college-preparatory education. We believe that students from all backgrounds deserve a college preparatory education regardless of race, economic circumstance or previous academic achievement. We are committed to preparing all students for educational success from kindergarten through college and career by challenging them to realize their full potential through high expectations in a safe, rigorous, and compassionate learning environment with shared accountability among students, families and staff.
Our teachers, leaders, faculty and staff clear a path for all families to have access to a high-quality school that’s just down the street, not across town. By building great schools in Far Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Denver, we will create depth of impact and long-lasting community change.
At STRIVE Prep, transformation is a choice that has led to:
- The opening of 11 free, public charter schools within Denver Public Schools (DPS) throughout Far Northeast, Northwest and Southwest Denver.
- A shared vision of making a college prep education for all students in our community the norm, rather than the exception, by growing from 11 schools serving 3,500 students to 17 schools serving 7,500 students by the year 2022.
- A commitment to serve all students from the neighborhoods in which we operate, whereby approximately 97% of STRIVE Prep students identify as students of color, 91% of students qualify for free or reduced lunch, 42% are English Language Learners and 12% receive Special Education services.
- One or more STRIVE Prep schools consistently ranking in the top 10 high performing secondary schools within DPS since the DPS School Performance Framework was introduced.
- The welcoming of any scholar from kindergarten through twelfth grade who desires to STRIVE for college. Because STRIVE Prep participates in the DPS SchoolChoice process, enrollment is open to any student in the communities we serve regardless of race, economic circumstance or previous academic achievement.
About STRIVE Prep – Kepner:
- STRIVE Prep – Kepner welcomed its very first class of 6th grade scholars in the fall of 2016. As the seventh STRIVE Prep middle school campus, STRIVE Prep – Kepner will provide families in Southwest Denver a world-class education in a compassionate and highly-structured environment.
- STRIVE Prep – Kepner supports scholars who are developing their English language skills with dual-language instructional supports and a range of opportunities to acquire the English language proficiency that is essential for college.
- To prepare for the academic and social demands of our rigorous program, STRIVE Prep – Kepner scholars will attend a 2-week culture camp as an opportunity to become familiar with the adults in our community and the high expectations of a world-class education.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead revolutionary bilingual instruction in Science.
- Teach four 45-minute classes per day, Monday through Friday, and one 60-minute intervention or Language acquisition class Monday through Thursday.
- Translate student materials into Spanish and teach between 25% – 50% of classes in Spanish.
- Support a small group of scholars with remedial skills for 30 minutes one afternoon per week.
- Participate in lesson planning clinics with an instructional coach and create Common Core aligned lesson plans each day.
- Lead a student advisory at the beginning and end of each school day, and serve as the main point of contact and advocate for students in the advisory.
- Support scholars by supervising lunch or break once per day.
- Establish systems and routines in order to create a safe, purposeful, and welcoming classroom environment.
- Analyze student assessment data and use it to determine next steps.
- Take responsibility for the safety and learning of all students in the school.
- Collaborate with other teachers, school leaders, curricular specialists, and the special education team to ensure that instruction is always meeting the needs of all learners.
- Provide fair, accurate, and constructive feedback to students on their progress.
- Communicate regularly and often with families to both solicit their input and share student social and academic progress.
- Assist in planning and support of school-wide events including community/morning meetings, dances, and field trips.
- Be available to students by phone every evening, Monday-Thursday, for homework assistance until 8:00 p.m
- Attend and participate in weekly staff and/or grade level meetings.
- Participate in STRIVE Prep’s Summer Training Institute as well as professional development throughout the school year.
Our Aspiring Teachers:
- Consciously choose to teach and transform the lives of middle school scholars by joining a founding team of educators who will do whatever it takes in a turnaround environment to support scholars in gaining access to college.
- Highly invest themselves in constant growth and reflection as educators and professionals.
- Approach every day with unapologetic high expectations, persistence and a sense of humor.
- Proudly hold a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree and are able to submit proof of Qualified Teacher status (teacher’s license not required) within six weeks of starting through one of the following channels outlined by the Colorado Department of Education:
- A valid Colorado Teacher License in the applicable endorsement area;
- Sufficient college coursework (or degree in content area);
- Passing score for the applicable Praxis ii or Colorado PLACE exam.
- Read more about the available pathways to becoming a Qualified Science Teacher.
- Have experience working with bilingual students (strongly preferred).
- Fluently speak and write Spanish and are able to pass the speaking, reading, and writing sections of the Spanish Language Proficiency Exam before the first day of school (required). Read more about the SLP exam through Berlitz here.
- Understand, appreciate and can pull from experience teaching in an urban setting (strongly preferred).
- Dedicate themselves to the educational success of all students, not some students.
- Bring enthusiasm, professionalism and positivity to their classrooms and our adult community.
- Assume the best in others and are willing to have courageous conversations in order to do what is best for students.
- Work hard and approach challenges as opportunities for improvement.
- Set high expectations for themselves and others and a willingness to hold themselves and others to those expectations.
What we Offer our Teachers:
- Ongoing coaching and professional development.
- 135 minutes of structured planning time built into the school day to plan the highest quality lessons.
- $5,000 stipend will be offered with the bilingual position.
- A laptop and access to classrooms equipped with Smartboards and document cameras.
- Competitive compensation package and annual performance based raises.
- Participation on the Colorado PERA retirement program including a PERA 401k contribution option.
- Funding of 100% of individual medical benefits and a wide range of insurance plans.
Early application deadline of November 4, 2016.
This position will begin July 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year. Teachers are strongly encouraged to participate in a 3-week summer Culture Academy (June 5th-23rd) which will include professional development and a $2000 stipend.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
STRIVE Prep is an equal opportunity employer.
Visit our Careers Page at http://www.striveprep.org/join-our-team/teach-at-strive/ to learn more about what to expect in the hiring process and who we need.
Please contact Desiree’ at email@example.com with any questions.
How to ApplyApply online here!
64 total views, 1 today