Teacher Middle School Language Arts Teacher
Archuleta School District 50 Joint
Title: Middle School – English Language Arts Teacher
- Colorado Teaching Certificate with an endorsement in elementary education or secondary language arts.
- Strong content knowledge in language arts and reading instruction.
- WRITE tools training a strong plus.
- Good communication skills and strong work ethic.
- Experience working with middle level students.
- Relates well and enjoys working with middle level students.
- Strong computer and technology skills.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the board may find appropriate and acceptable.
The work requires periods of light physical activity and requires long periods of time standing and/or walking. Most of the work is performed in the classroom setting and requires the ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds; reach, hold, grasp, and turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer and typewriter keyboards and visual aides for students.
Middle School Principal
To help each pupil develop an awareness of the role of language arts; to motivate each pupil to acquire knowledge skills in reading and writing; and to discover and develop special talents of pupils in the language arts field.
- Teaches content and skills in English language, literature, composition, reading, and journalism as outlined by the Colorado Academic Standards. Utilize the course of study adopted by the Board of Education and appropriate curriculum publications as guidelines in teaching individual course content.
- Adapts English material and methods to develop relevant sequential assignments that guide and challenge pupils.
- Provides individual or small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of pupils and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of projects.
- Develops standards for critical analysis through group discussions based on a variety of mass media and classical and contemporary literature.
- Assists pupils in selection and development of individual research projects.
- Encourages pupils to think independently and to express original ideas.
- Evaluates each pupil’s progress in English skills (listening, speaking, reading, and writing).
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive classroom environment.
- Works with pupils and other classroom teachers in such activities as preparing material for the school newspaper or coordinating entries in essay contests.
- Administers or monitors group tests.
- Identifies pupils’ needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Communicates with parents and school counselors on pupil progress.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned work day.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and self-selected professional growth activities.
- Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs.
- Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids appropriate to the interest and maturity level of pupils; maintains required inventory records.
- Participates in faculty committees and sponsorship of student activities and coaching.
- Facilitates an advisory period that includes academic advisory, character development, parent communication and establishes a strong rapport with all students.
- Collaboratively organizes and facilitates outdoor educational learning opportunities that may include adventure learning and hunter safety.
Terms of Employment:
Salary: Based upon the District’s adopted certified salary schedule. Years of experience given through Step 7.
Work Schedule: 175 days per year or as designated by the annual school calendar. Salary and work-year to be established annually by the board.
Benefits: Full benefits – as described on salary schedule
Hours: 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. or as set by the building principal
FLSA Status: Exempt/Certified
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Certified Personnel.
I understand the description of this job and the essential functions, as given above. I also understand that all of the duties are not described above and that I will perform those above and other related duties as directed by my supervisor and management.