Teacher Middle School Science Teacher
Reports to: Middle School Head
Start date: January 8 or sooner
For nearly 25 years Boulder Country Day School has been at the forefront of education in the Boulder Valley. The hallmarks of our school – Community, Character, Academic Excellence, and Small Class Sizes – are the keys to our success and allow us to create an educational experience where children innovate, create, grow and thrive. We believe our children are our future, and, to that end, we offer a broad-based liberal arts education that focuses on developing lifelong learners and responsible global citizens. The Boulder Country Day challenge, Discover Your Excellence, recognizes that excellence is teachable, personal, and can be achieved in a variety of different disciplines – academic, athletic, community service, leadership, and more. We seek to provide just the right amount of nurture, structure, and latitude to live up to this challenge.
The Boulder Country Day Middle School Science Teacher will work with the members of the middle school faculty and staff to teach math and/or science in grades 6-8. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Teach 3 MS Science classes and two 5th grade Science classes (lab-based Physical, Life, and Earth Sciences) in an 8 period day:
- Advise 12-14 students;
- Participate in ongoing training for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Program, BCD’s 1:1 program, and other subject specific skills;
- Collaborate with middle school faculty and staff to implement BCD’s 1:1 technology program;
- Provide regular and thorough communication to all BCD constituencies (students, parents, and colleagues);
- Help review and revise the BCD science curricula as needed;
- Support enrollment and retention by assisting with tours, events, and other school outreach; and
- Perform other duties as directed by the Head of School.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
- A strong background in science;
- Bachelor’s in science or science education, Master’s preferred;
- Education in or exposure to Developmental Designs for Middle School or Responsive Classroom for Middle School
- At least 3-5 years teaching in grades 6-8;
- Demonstrated love for working with middle school students;
- Experience working in an IB setting;
- Knowledge of or background in independent schools;
- Desire to teach in a technology rich 1:1 learning environment including innovative use of technology and digital resources in math and science;
- Ability to differentiate within each class;
- Flexibility, ability to work with change, and strengths in innovation; and
- Effective communication skills.
How to ApplyThe BCD Middle School Science Teacher follows the normal faculty school schedule and calendar. All interested candidates should send a letter expressing their interest along with a current resume and at least three appropriate references to Dan Welch, Middle School Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
243 total views, 1 today