Research and Policy National Director of Learning and Development
- Location: New York, NY preferred, flexible to chapter locations
- Team: People and Equity
- Posted: 12/18/18
- Hiring Manager: Rhonda Ford, VP of People and Equity
- Application deadline: January 15, 2019
Our nation’s education system is leaving millions of students—including an overwhelming number of students of color and low-income students—unprepared for college, career, and life. While research shows that classroom teachers are the single most important in-school factor in improving student achievement, their diverse voices are consistently left out of education policy decisions. For far too long, teachers have been treated as subjects of change rather than as agents of change.
Founded by public school teachers, Educators for Excellence is non-profit organization comprised of over 30,000 educators, united around a common set of values and principles for achieving an equitable and excellent education through improving student learning and elevating the teaching profession. We work to collectively identify issues that impact our schools, create solutions to these challenges, and advocate for policies and programs through unions and outside of unions that give all students access to a quality education
What We Do
Through our chapters in communities across the country, we provide opportunities for teachers to stay informed, expand their leadership, connect with colleagues and decision-makers, and advocate for change.
We are a dynamic and growing organization. We are a team of storytellers who leverage each other’s diverse experiences, expertise and perspectives. We work to foster an inclusive, collaborative environment. We thrive in changing environments and are defined by our grit and tenacity while sharing a deep commitment to achieving our vision and living out our mission.
E4E deeply understands that people are at the center of educational equity and that people will be those who achieve it. So, E4E has worked to be actively responsive to leadership development needs as they arise. The National Director, Learning & Development has an opportunity to create and build a high-impact learning and development function. This function will serve as the primary source for training, development, and coaching at E4E.
- Set and execute the vision and strategy for our approach to all-staff learning and development:
- Partner with the VP, People and Equity to design a near-term and long-term L&D strategy that meets the collective and differentiated needs of staff.
- Lead the design and implementation of cohesive learning experiences for various stakeholder groups based on assessed needs at organizational, team, and individual levels.
- Develop and launch professional development programs to support staff at all stages of the talent management lifecycle.
- Design, facilitate and/or curate differentiated learning experiences, resources and opportunities for growth:
- Design in-house scalable solutions that include a blended approach to learning such as coaching, group training, 1:1 sessions, action learning & e-learning.
- Develop a vision of excellence and arc of learning for all internal job groups.
- Identify and catalog internal and external development opportunities centrally to create efficiencies in achieving learning objectives.
- Provide strategic and customized coaching to team leaders and managers:
- Develop a vision of excellence and arc of learning for effective and multiculturally competent management.
- Design and deliver manager curriculum and aligned trainings in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Develop individual personal growth plans for all managers of people; Provide related coaching to managers in partnership with the VP, P&E.
- Provide customized support for managers as they develop and refine strategies and supports for staff leadership development and growth (ex: strategic plans, individual development plans, team learning experiences).
- Advise and support managers and staff through sensitive issues.
- Lead the charge to develop and refine internal knowledge management systems, processes, and supports:
- Collaborate with various stakeholders to launch and manage full-service internal knowledge and resource management platform.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of learning & development strategies, trainers and materials and make recommendations for improvement, assuring alignment with organizational goals and sustainability of executed plans and/or programs.
- Expand resource library and lead implementation strategy to further empower staff members to own their development.
- Partner with the VP, P&E to accelerate near-term strategies and long-term vision for the department and overall staff experience:
- Collaboratively lead organizational change efforts by creating the conditions, experiences, and growth/stretch opportunities for leaders at all levels to align their values with day to day actions.
- Collaborate with VP, P&E to create and implement the structures, mechanisms, mindsets and skill sets to align with our emerging people philosophy.
- Support VP, P&E in internal team strategy, including retreat planning, team performance and development, team culture, project management.
- Support VP, P&E in post-project analysis, application, and reporting for key stakeholder groups (national board and other internal and external stakeholders).
- Demonstrated success in the development and implementation of initiatives including leadership education, diversity & inclusion training, train the trainer initiatives, and building job-based curricula.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including the development and implementation of strategy, and engagement in learning experiences to build competency, self-awareness, and embed inclusivity into actions.
- Ability to work autonomously, in ambiguous situations with little direction, running towards problems without being asked; solutions-oriented with strong judgment for the right course of action in any given situation
- Excellent project management skills; ability to set priorities and meet deadlines; You demonstrate calmness in times of uncertainty and under stress.
- Impeccable execution skills and experience navigating complex processes that require multi-pronged solutions and building out, creating, implementing and improving upon organizational systems
- Unwavering ability to maintain confidentiality while honoring and leveraging multiple perspectives
- A commitment to creativity, innovation, and flexibility in your work and team engagement
- Deep experience working across management levels, likely through direct or lateral management experience
- Strong computer skills, including ability to effectively utilize Microsoft Office suite, data management software, e‐learning platforms, video files, course authoring solutions and related software;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated and proven ability to build relationships across lines of difference, influence, motivate and inspire others
- An orientation towards servant-leadership, thriving on helping others be their best selves and anticipating their needs before they are communicated
- The consistent ability to remain flexible, calm under pressure and adaptive to change as priorities shift
- Eagerness to learn and grow to improve practice and continue professional development
- Willingness to travel 25% or more to deliver relevant, high-quality support
Moreover, all E4E candidates will have a/an:
- Empathy for, understanding of, and respect for the teaching profession.
- Deep commitment to the core values of E4E and passion for students, improving education, and closing the opportunity gap.
- Emotional intelligence and professional maturity.
- Strength at cultural leadership and modeling our core values.
- Tenacity, grit and the ability to take initiative and thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial start-up environment.
- Ability and eagerness to go above and beyond and do whatever it takes to get the job done and meet/exceed goals.
How to Apply
- Step 1: Submit an online application here, which includes a resume and a few short application questions
- Step 2: In lieu of a traditional cover letter, you will be emailed instructions, upon the submission of this online application, to complete a video cover letter. All video cover letters are due by the application deadline of January 15th, 2018
413 total views, 1 today