Operations / Administration Operation Assistant
WELCOME TO BRIGHTBEAM!
Brightbeam is a nonprofit network of education influencers demanding a better education and a brighter future for every child. Using the power of communications, we shine a light on communities that challenge decision-makers to provide the learning opportunities all children need to thrive. We help strong voices tell powerful stories that unite and move their communities to action. Brightbeam amplifies these stories through a variety of digital platforms, including Education Post, Citizen Ed, Project Forever Free, and more than 20 local and regional sites that spotlight education issues nationally. We also partner with on-the-ground initiatives, projects or organizations that align with our mission. To learn more, visit brightbeamnetwork.org.
Brightbeam offers a fast-paced and dynamic workplace where individuals are honored and valued for their unique work views and backgrounds. We strive to be a democratic, mutually supportive, and energized team of self-motivated nonprofit professionals dedicated to making a difference for children. Brightbeam provides competitive salaries, excellent benefits, including a 3% employer match to your retirement fund with no match required; brightbeam is a virtual organization and this position is based in a home office anywhere in the United States. Occasional travel is required.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The Operation Associate reports to the Director of Finance and Operations and serves as a key team member on the Operations Team.
The Operation Associate position requires experience in operations and accounts payables, nimbleness, and great customer service. This individual utilizes good judgment, discretion and superior organizational skills to support a broad range of responsibilities. Paramount to this position are superior interpersonal and communication skills, a positive and helpful attitude and the ability to anticipate needs and initiate and implement solutions.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
● Assist in any and all office operations, including but not limited to expense reconciliation, participating in maintaining virtual office furnishings tracking, holiday gift card purchases and coordination and some internal operations documents/processes.
● Assist in the hiring and on-boarding process of potential and new employees and interns.
● Participate in the intern search process.
● Act as liaison between brightbeam and IT organization.
● Maintain organization of cloud storage spaces.
● First level of support responding to a broad range of internal and external operational inquiries and requests with the support of the Director of Finance and Operations.
● Participate in financial operations, including, but not limited to:
- Dissemination and reconciliation process of monthly credit card statements.
- Send monthly invoicing reminders to vendors, code all bill.com expenses for payment and interface with accounting staff on timing of invoice payment.
● Assist in researching cost savings throughout the year with vendors, eg, insurance,credit card offerings, annual contracts, etc.
● Establish invoicing introductions and systems for new columnists, platform managers and other vendors in conjunction with the accounting team.
● Manage materials production, such as mailings, employee list, vendor lists, promotional materials and brand identity materials (business cards, ordering flowers, wellness week gifts, etc.).
● Maintain brightbeam operational calendar.
● Provide additional support to the Director of Finance and Operations as needed.
● Organizational support on business tasks: e.g., travel arrangements for events, large team travel, etc.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE & QUALIFICATIONS
● Two years of professional office coordination/administrative experience as this position is focused on polishing these skills.
● Understanding of office operations and principles of sound administrative procedures and practices.
● Fundamental knowledge of financial management, preferably in a non-profit environment.
● Proven ability to handle a high volume of work, manage several projects at once and meet deadlines.
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite software, especially Excel, Google Calendar, Google Mail and should be comfortable with technology and integration under general IT supervision.
● Experience with cloud-based data management/database programs, e.g, Dropbox.
● Excellent attention to detail, communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
● Exceptional writing, grammar, proofreading and editing abilities.
● Strong time management skills—highly proactive, nimble, reliable, flexible and
punctual—and ability to self-manage.
● Ability to communicate with leaders and external stakeholders and demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality and professionalism.
● Experience in a virtual environment is preferred.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. Our top priority is finding the best candidate for the job and if you are interested in the position, we would encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.