Research and Policy Outreach Director (Organizer)
- Location: NYC (Three positions: Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan), but main office in Manhattan
- Team: New York Chapter
- Posted: 3/15/19
- Hiring Managers: Princess Lyles and Asia Foreman
- Application deadline: 4/27/19 (extended from 4/3/19)
- FAQ- Read our extensive FAQ in advance of applying
Educators for Excellence, New York is seeking a full-time organizer to recruit volunteer educators and develop their leadership in standing up for a more just and equitable education system. This position is a deeply rewarding opportunity to leverage interpersonal skills and a commitment to social justice through educational advocacy.
With chapters currently operating in Los Angeles, New York, Connecticut, Chicago, Boston and Minnesota, our organizing culture is grounded in our passion for impacting educational systems and revolves around an innovative, roll-up-your-sleeves spirit backed by a shared commitment to continuous professional growth.
Reporting to Princess Lyles or Asia Foreman, Organizers collaborate on a team that is charged with managing organizing operations in a designated geographical area. Organizers recruit, engage, and mobilize teachers to help elevate teacher voice, student outcomes, and the teaching profession overall. Organizers engage educators in conversations, hearing ideas and recommendations about education policy and union engagement and sharing opportunities to connect with like-minded colleagues and to dialogue with stakeholders at city, district and state levels. Organizers also collect and enter data to track meaningful information and strategically plan around their assigned organizing area.
- Utilize the Declaration of Principles and Beliefs to extend the message and mission of E4E.
- Help educators find their own voice and power through one-on-one conversations/meetings, school visits and community events to develop a sense of community and urgency for advocacy.
- Organize, plan and execute policy, advocacy and networking events to engage current and potential members.
- Use your unique network and experience to build innovative events to organize, inspire, and motivate educators around issue campaigns and their union.
Identify & Train Educator-Organizers
- Connect educators to relevant networking, leadership, and advocacy opportunities within the organization.
- Help educators to find their own voice and power through teacher policy teams and advocacy campaigns.
- Recruit, train, and retain teacher-leaders through the E4E’s educator leadership programs.
- Leverage social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.) to engage current and potential members
Mobilize Educators To Create Recommendations & Advocate for Change
- Mobilize current and potential E4E members around teacher-led campaigns that advocate for progressive changes in public education and encourage union activism.
- Support educators to take actions that push decision-makers in teaching unions, legislatures, school boards, and other seats of power to do better by students and teachers.
- Gather educators’ input on key educational policies and issues locally and nationally.
- At least 2 years of professional experience, including experience in at least one of the following fields:
- Pre-K-12 education instruction
- Community organizing, campaign organizing or union organizing.
- Is deeply motivated and inspired by the stories of others and connecting people to action.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership ability to motivate others, and demonstrated ability to connect with diverse communities and groups of people.
- Is able to travel around the district several times a week to meet with educators and is flexible with working some evenings and weekends to accommodate the schedules and needs of educators.
- Communicates effectively in both written and verbal formats.
- Is both a team player and a self-starter, including exceptional organization and time management skills.
- Is willing to work through challenging conversations and situations and sees them as opportunities for growth.
Benefits and Salary
Educators for Excellence believes in providing employees with benefits to support self-care, wellness, and financial stability. We value the whole person and provide benefits such as; paid time off, health insurance plans, competitive salaries that include pre-tax benefits, and cell phone reimbursements. See more information about our benefits here.
How to ApplyTo Apply A complete application requires that you do two things:
- Resume + Application Questions: Please upload your resume and answer a few, short questions on this application page. Note: Should you move forward in the process, your responses to these questions will be read by every member of the selection committee, so please take the time to respond thoughtfully :)
- Video Cover Letter: The video cover letter needs to be completed by the application deadline of April 27th at 8pm EDT. Our candidates love this flexibility because they get to complete the first part of our screening process whenever and wherever they want and on their schedule!
112 total views, 14 today