Operations / Administration Pennsylvania Managing Director of Programs
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. Since 2009, Teach Plus has developed thousands of teacher leaders across the country to exercise their leadership in shaping education policy and improving teaching and learning to create an education system driven by access and excellence for all.
What We Do
At Teach Plus, we advance teacher leadership in pursuit of opportunities and outcomes for students. When we invest in developing our most talented teachers into teacher leaders who are well-informed, persuasive, and prepared to lead, they have deep leverage in advancing equity for students, especially for students of color, low-income students, and those from underserved communities. To close the opportunity gap and to ensure equitable access to a world-class education for all students in the schools and communities we serve, we ignite systems change at multiple levels through our Policy Fellowship and Instructional Leadership programs designed to inspire and equip teachers. We are committed to leading change in our Equity Focus Areas: High-quality early childhood education; Recruitment and retention of a diverse teaching force; Rigorous curricula, high standards, and meaningful accountability; Teacher preparation, development, and leadership; Whole child, student-centered learning; and Equitable Funding.
What You’ll Do
The Managing Director of Programs will serve as the visionary for practice work in Pennsylvania, creating strategic cohesion across practice programming in Pennsylvania. They will serve as the liaison between the Pennsylvania Executive Director, National Program Team, National Evaluation team, and regional program staff to codify, synthesize, and elevate learning and best practices across the portfolio of work. The Managing Director of Programs will also oversee program/project management, Pennsylvania funder relationships, and communications (funder and partner) for practice work.
As a member of the Teach Plus Pennsylvania team reporting to the Pennsylvania Executive Director, the Managing Director of Programs will oversee all Teach Plus PA’s school- and district-focused practice programs across Pennsylvania. They will provide comprehensive support and leadership development to program coaches and directors associated with these projects. The Managing Director of Programs manages all practice work in Pennsylvania, which currently includes:
- Pennsylvania Equity Leadership Institute – a partnership in southwestern Pennsylvania supporting 6-8 districts to form teams of teachers and administrators focused on improving educator diversity using an evidence-based continuous improvement process
- Literacy Content Cadre – a partnership with a Philadelphia non-profit network of Catholic schools to support 15-20 elementary teacher leaders in leading cross-school literacy professional learning communities to improve the implementation of a high-quality literacy curriculum
- School District of Philadelphia Shared Leadership Project – a partnership with six elementary schools in the School District of Philadelphia to build shared leadership and leader efficacy among grade-level teacher leaders and administrators through cross-role instructional visits, professional learning communities, and instructional leadership team meetings
- Other potential future projects as they become funded, including a likely project in Philadelphia supporting 10-20 teacher leaders across the city to lead racial affinity groups for teachers of color to support educator retention and satisfaction
Responsibilities include the following:
- Leading and Supporting Pennsylvania Program Staff: Providing effective leadership and support of 3-5 regional staff members (coaches and program directors), with an emphasis on developing a shared vision, creating clear expectations and goals, building opportunities for regular team collaboration and communication, supporting continuous improvement and learning, and providing resources to support personal and professional growth, along with managerial duties of goal-setting/evaluating, approving expenses, managing days off, and checking in weekly or biweekly with each direct report;
- Coaching: Provide leadership coaching and development to all staff within the portfolio through regular observation and feedback of programs;
- Professional Learning: Design and facilitate high-impact professional learning for Teach Plus Pennsylvania staff.
Program Design and Management
- Program/Project Management: Ensure that all Pennsylvania school- and district-focused practice programs are operating effectively and impactfully by building/supporting systems, structures, and people;
- Program Design: In partnership with Pennsylvania ED, National Program Team, program leads, funders, and partners, oversee the design and implementation of new high-impact teacher leadership programming to meet the identified and emerging needs of districts and schools in Pennsylvania; share learnings, resources, and systems/ structures across the organization;
- Program Evaluation: In partnership with the National Evaluation Team, National Program Team, and Pennsylvania Executive Director, and taking into account any relevant grant or partnership goals, determine evaluation metrics and plans for all Pennsylvania programs; work with the National Evaluation Team to ensure implementation of comprehensive data plans;
- Data Collection & Analysis: Lead data collection and measurement of programs within the portfolio through various methods, including participant surveys, measurement of teacher leader growth, analysis of student achievement data, and other methods aligned with program goals; use data to monitor progress towards goals and make recommendations about any program modifications; provide support and course corrections where necessary to achieve goals;
- Program Implementation: In partnership with program leads, oversee the design and implementation of all program components (including recruitment & selection, creation of marketing materials, summer training, cohort sessions, teacher leader coaching, and administrator check-ins/ consultations) for all Pennsylvania programs; collaborate Pennsylvania ED, National Program Team, and program leads to strategize solutions for and address challenges that may arise with program implementation at the school and district level;
- Direct Coaching and Professional Development Facilitation: As needed, design and deliver coaching and professional development directly to teacher leaders and administrators; topics including but not limited to purpose-driven instructional leadership, evidence-based decision-making, skillful facilitation of adult learning, acting as a change agent and equity advocate, and creating structures to support shared leadership.
Partnership Development & Management
- Partnership Development: Partner with the Pennsylvania Executive Director to secure, design, and implement new practice opportunities in the region and participate in the national dialogue about creating and customizing quality practice programs;
- Prospect Development: In collaboration with the Pennsylvania Executive Director, identify high-potential prospects for partnerships in the public and charter school sectors, including prospects for grant-funded and fee-for-service work; maintain, manage, and grow relationships with statewide and local funding sources;
- Program Coherence, Quality & Growth: Ensure the quality of Teach Plus work in Pennsylvania across different program models and building Teach Plus’ reputation as the “go-to” teacher leadership organization among funders, district leaders, and school leaders; represent Teach Plus in conversations with district leaders, stakeholders, and external audiences
- Communications: Partner with Pennsylvania Executive Director and program leads as a point of contact with funders, district partners, and school leaders within the Managing Director of Programs’ portfolio to communicate program requirements and to check-in with leaders on a regular basis;
- Continuous Improvement: With support from Teach Plus staff, collaborate with district and network leaders to monitor progress of programs, build district and network capacity to support teacher leadership, and share best practices.
- Research & Thought Leadership: Participate in opportunities to share best practices at conferences, contribute to articles, and share knowledge and skills to support the ongoing development of the organization.
- Grant Writing and Reporting: In partnership with the National Development Team, coordinate the grant writing, program proposal process, and grant reporting process for programs, ensuring timely written reports and tracking of grant metrics.
What You’ll Need to be Successful
- 6+ years in the education field, with at least 3 years of experience managing and/or coaching others:
- Preference given to candidates who have both a teaching and administrative background, are experienced instructional leaders, and have led transformative change and improved student achievement at the school and/or district level
- Preference given to candidates with experience in leadership development, leading professional development, and/or designing adult learning experiences for teachers and/or school leaders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, relationship-building, and interpersonal skills
- Dedication to equity for students and a deep belief in the power of teachers and administrators to bring about positive change:
- Preference is given to candidates with experience supporting adult learning and courageous conversations around racial equity
- Ability to learn quickly and in a self-directed manner while also skilled at collaborating with others, asking the right questions, and supporting the progress of a team
- Strong organizational and project management skills, including the ability to support multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize based on the potential for impact
- A relentless focus on data and results:
- Ability to identify and synthesize the right qualitative and quantitative data points to assess program impact and identify opportunities for improvement
- Preference for candidates for experience in program evaluation and/or design of program metrics
What we Offer
The compensation range for this position is between $95,000 and $115,000, and salary will be determined based on the selected candidate’s specific qualifications, years of relevant experience, specialized knowledge, and internal equity.
Teach Plus offers a benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 3% matching 401k plan, disability and life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and childcare expenses. Teach Plus offers generous time off benefits, including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 11 holidays, and winter break. Additionally, Teach Plus offers paid parental leave and a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
Teach Plus is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from diverse candidates. Teach Plus does not discriminate in any aspect of employment based on race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age.
Location and Travel
This is a remote position based in Pennsylvania; candidates who reside near Philadelphia or Pittsburgh are preferred. While Teach Plus Pennsylvania operates remotely, some regional travel will be required to visit schools and convene with teacher leaders and other members of the Teach Plus Pennsylvania team.