Teacher Physical Education Teacher
Position Title: Physical Education Teacher
Location: Various School Locations
Salary: $51,071 – $82,120
Reports to: Principal
Bargaining Unit: DFT
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Telecommuting Eligibility: Not eligible for telecommuting.
In accordance with the Agreement between the Detroit Federation of Teachers (DFT) and the Board of Education of the School District of the City of Detroit, the following vacancy is announced.
The Teacher offers rigorous curriculum aligned with the State of Michigan Common Core guidelines while upholding the mission, vision and values of the Detroit Public Schools Community District. Collaborates with families and other staff members to ensure academic success of students. Evaluates and monitors students’ progress on a periodic basis.
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools or an equivalent agency.
- Must possess a valid Michigan Teaching Certificate or Michigan Temporary Teaching Authorization (T2EA), Physical Education (MB), (MX) endorsement(s).
- Cooperate with teachers, parents and community members.
- Enable field studies to improve classroom curriculum as per the needs of the students.
- Offer input and assist grade level, subject matter and engage leader led conferences/professional developments.
- Develop parent and family involvement in school life and curriculum.
- Synthesize with colleagues on school activities to ensure academic success.
- Discuss with parents on student progress and academic achievements.
- Instruct rules of conduct and ensure classroom, campus, and uniform discipline policies.
- Counsel students during academic and adjustment problems by taking corrective measures to enhance student learning abilities.
- Handle attendance, progress reports and grade records.
- Plan study programs to meet students’ needs, interests and abilities.
- Provide creative assessments and evaluate students’ progress on a periodic basis.
- Instruct students on proper use of equipment, materials, and textbooks.
- Maintain inventory of instructional materials, aids and equipment.
- Maintain accurate complete student records and prepare reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
If you are a current Detroit Public Schools Community District employee, you do not have to submit to a new security clearance, unless your new role requires a different type of criminal background check.
In alignment with Michigan law, if you are hired to fill a position, you will be required to submit to a Detroit Public Schools Community District criminal background check. Information regarding required background checks will be shared at point of hire.