Research and Policy Policy Analyst
ROLE: Policy Analyst
LOCATION: Denver, CO
START DATE: Flexible
Democrats for Education Reform – Colorado (DFER) seeks a policy analyst to provide critical support in policy research, organizational operations, and social media. This role is ideal for someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial, flexible, and occasionally high-intensity environment.
WHO WE ARE
Democrats for Education Reform (DFER) is a national political organization that supports elected Democrats and candidates for office who seek to expand policies and practices that work well for America’s students and confront those that do not. We are education progressives who prioritize students and families, especially low-income students and students of color who should be better served by our country’s public education system.
DFER partner Education Reform Now Advocacy (ERNA) is an advocacy group that advances education reform measures through empowering community leaders to support our legislative and political advocacy work. ERNA keeps constant pressure on legislators to champion high-quality public education.
DFER partner Education Reform Now (ERN) is a nonpartisan think tank that promotes increased resources and innovative reforms in K-16 public education, particularly for students of color and students from low-income families.
WHAT WE DO
- Support for Progressive Education Leaders — In an approach that is markedly different from our peers and partners in the field, DFER engages directly with candidates and elected officials to empower them to advocate for education policies that focus foremost on serving students. Our partner organization, Education Reform Now’s work involves policy research, analysis and education that helps policy makers at all levels understand complex education issues and make informed decisions.
- Informing the Education Debate in Colorado — Our coalition leadership is shown through our work with the Equity in Colorado Coalition, Communities of Practice, and the K-12 Round table. We work collaboratively with organizations such as the Colorado Department of Education, Colorado Children’s Campaign, Denver Public Schools, Transform Education Now, Stand for Children, OurTurn, New Era Colorado, Young Invincibles, and numerous other organizations to create an education system that is held accountable to all kids and families.
- Targeted Interventions and Rapid Response — DFER’s breadth and depth of reach from the most local district relationships to state and federal policymakers, enable us to respond quickly to the changing landscape and policy trends. Activities vary significantly from project to project and may include training, policy analysis, public engagement, electoral and issue advocacy, and policy guidance for elected officials and local advocates.
- Represent DFER-CO and our policy interests in meetings with relevant governing agencies, stakeholder meetings, and education coalitions.
- Work with policy director to attend and take notes on all relevant interim committees over the summer and fall, which include tracking statements and positions made by elected officials that support or oppose the policy goals of DFER.
- Attend and take notes on State Board meetings throughout the year, which include tracking statements and positions made by board members that support or oppose the policy goals of DFER.
- Subscribe to newsletters and attend constituent meetings of key elected officials and track statements that support or oppose the policy goals for DFER.
- Work with policy director to create talking points to elected officials, one-pagers on proactive policy, and draft research briefs for internal and external parties.
- Work closely with state and policy director to establish and cultivate working relationships with key policy makers and staffers at relevant government agencies, e.g. provide briefing materials, and analyzing policy implications.
- Maintain tracking systems that pertain to policy analyst position, such as contact with elected officials, status of education bills during legislative session, state board member comments, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proficiency in all social media platforms, Dropbox and excel required
- Strong research and analysis skills
- Track record of successful project management
- Willingness to be flexible in an entrepreneurial work environment
- Passion for DFER’s mission and vision
This position is a salaried position between $58,500 – $75,000 per year plus benefits which include: a 401k plan with match, health insurance, and cell phone reimbursement.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Democrats for Education Reform welcomes applications from all, and strongly encourages women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrants, refugees & LGBTQ people to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of Colorado students.