Operations / Administration Preschool and Kindergarten Readiness Specialist
South Bronx Rising Together (SBRT) is a cradle to career pipeline partnership to improve local schools, engage parents, bring resources to the community, and ensure children are on a pathway to college and career success. To be successful, the initiative will mobilize any and all actors in the South Bronx with a stake in student success to help achieve large-scale social change through shared goals and accountability. This will include residents, schools, community based organizations, health providers, colleges, housing developers, employers, and others. SBRT is an initiative co-funded and staffed by Phipps Neighborhoods and Children’s Aid.
Phipps Neighborhoods helps children, youth, and families in low-income communities rise above poverty. We work in South Bronx neighborhoods where we can address the greatest barriers to lasting success through education and career programs, and access to community resources.
We’re dedicated to our neighborhoods for the long term, supporting individuals and families as they establish self-sufficiency. Our services create opportunities for people to thrive in every aspect of their lives.
Context: SBRT’s All Are Ready for Kindergarten goal and Early Years Network
South Bronx Rising Together’s portfolio of Early Childhood work includes early literacy, playgroups, parental support, professional development for early childhood educators, and local family resources for childhood development and health. Our community-informed vision for Kindergarten Readiness emphasizes improving the quality of preschool education offerings, increasing access to early-childhood learning programs, and convening local stakeholders to inform policy. Through the framework of collective impact, we seek to increase access, participation, and community voice in early childhood education at the local and systemic level.
Objective: To increase preschool enrollment and kindergarten readiness in Bronx Community District 3
Role: Preschool and Kindergarten Readiness Specialist
SBRT aims to support our network of stakeholders and partners committed to improving early childhood education. The Preschool and Kindergarten Readiness Specialist will lead and execute SBRT’s preschool enrollment and school readiness strategies for Bronx Community District 3. Children’s Aid and Phipps Neighborhoods are the conveners of this partnership and the Specialist will report to the SBRT Director and PN’s Chief of Staff. This will be a contracted position through September 2019 (with the possibility of continuation), based at Phipps Neighborhoods.
Deliverables: the Preschool and Kindergarten Readiness Specialist will:
- Attend preschool and kindergarten open houses in Bronx Community District 3 (Bronx CD3) and provide written event summaries to the SBRT Director.
- Create weekly communication materials to inform SBRT partners and CD3 stakeholders about preschool and kindergarten opportunities in Bronx CD3 – including open houses, deadlines, admissions policy, eligibility requirements, and available seats at specific sites.
- Conduct outreach to preschools in Bronx CD3 to communicate SBRT’s enrollment objectives and coordinate meetings with SBRT Director and/or leadership
- Contact 3-K, UPK and Kindergarten programs, and their host CBOs, in Bronx CD3 to learn about available seats
- Create a bi-weekly reports on preschool access and enrollment practices used by early childhood center-based providers (serving children ages 0 – 5) and other partners in Bronx Community District 3 (Bronx CD3)
- Serve as a liaison between SBRT and relevant organizations, businesses, and other stakeholders engaged or interested in 3-K, UPK, and Kindergarten enrollment
- Hold weekly meetings with the SBRT Director to plan strategy and activities for increasing pre-school enrollment in Bronx Community District 3; including potential partnerships and collaborations