Principal or Vice Principal Preschool Director
Flagstaff Academy, a PreK-8 charter school in Longmont, Colorado invites applications for the position of Preschool Director. The Preschool Director is a distinguished educator who will lead the school’s private preschool and full day wraparound program. The ideal candidate will possess demonstrated experience in achieving excellence in early childhood learning, preschool teaching, state licensing compliance, and student and parent engagement.
Who We Are:
Flagstaff is a PreK-8 public charter school with an onsite private pre-school. In operation since 2005, Flagstaff Academy is now in its 17th year of operation. In 2005-2006, we had 216 students and 23 faculty and staff. Currently, we have approximately 850 students and 95 faculty and staff (300% student growth). As a semi-autonomous school of choice, Flagstaff Academy is operated by a board of directors made up of parents and other community members. We are governed by a contract between the members of the charter school community and the local school district. Charter schools in Colorado enjoy more flexibility than district public schools and are held accountable to the Colorado Department of Education and their authorizer. For Flagstaff Academy, this is the St. Vrain Valley School District.
Our mission is to develop students who are equipped to be well-rounded, ethical leaders in the world community with a foundation based on science and technology.
Flagstaff Academy’s Guiding Principles
- Provide a PK-8 Core Knowledge-based education with a science and technology focus that challenges students to achieve their academic potential
- Supply opportunities for scientific and technological exploration while encouraging an appreciation of the arts
- Pursue excellence in every student and employee
- Promote, value, and recognize academic achievement and creativity
- Welcome an academically diverse student population
- Respect the individual, classroom, school, community, and world
The Preschool Director is the primary person responsible for the daily operation of the center. The Preschool Director is the key contact for staff, families and governmental agencies. The Preschool Director coordinates schedules, classroom planning, training, supplies, etc. The Preschool Director provides the Executive Principal, Executive Director, and Board of Directors with information needed to keep the preschool operating in accordance with the Colorado Department of Human Services and the school’s vision. The Preschool Director also assists the Preschool Teacher with instruction as needed. The Preschool Director reports to the Executive Principal.
We are seeking a Preschool Director who:
- Possesses excellent people skills, presents a positive image of the school and will listen to input and make a decision when necessary
- Inspires trust, has high levels of self-confidence and optimism, and models high standards of integrity and personal performance
- Is a strong communicator; speaking, listening and writing
- Oversees the preschool program operations, strategy, and growth.
- Knows and understands Colorado child care licensing rules and regulations.
- Participates in the supervision process of preschool staff as well as teaching as needed.
- Prepares the preschool for upcoming changes to state-funded universal preschool in 2023
Overview of Position
RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop, evaluate, and lead direct reports in their role as leaders in the building.
- Execute the Strategic Plan with the Executive Director by focusing on student success and growth of the Preschool program.
- Cultivate opportunities to showcase Flagstaff Academy by attending and presenting to local, state, regional, and national professional educational organizations. Establish Flagstaff as an academic leader by staying current with academic developments and trends.
- Representing Flagstaff Academy in a positive light in the community, student recruiting, and marketing.
- Relationship Building
- Represent school by planning or attending outside activities such as District or state meetings, student recruitment events and community functions.
- Role model building relationships with staff by supporting, recognizing, motivating, team building, networking, problem solving, and delegating.
- Support parents and relationships between families, students, the PTO, and the school.
- Facilitate new enrollments, orientations, and act as a positive family liaison.
- Conduct and/or assist with parent-teacher conferences.
- Supervise, coach, and evaluate preschool teacher(s), aides, and any contractors providing services to the Preschool.
- Handle licensing and compliance requirements and interact with governmental agencies by remaining up to date on staff development and on licensing changes.
- Comply with all social services regulations, including mandatory reporting of allegations of abuse.
- Assist with all safety and emergency drills and operations.
- Plan and direct staff meetings and staff training/development.
- Assist in the development and management of the annual operating budget.
- Communicate with SPED/Child Find and attend Child Find meetings as needed.
- Keep administration informed of preschool activities and needs.
- Communicate with the Board of Directors and PTO about preschool.
- Develop and coordinate preschool communications, marketing, newsletters, and public relations with the Communications Coordinator.
Job Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong understanding of Early Childhood Education best practices and experience in successful management and growth of a preschool program.
- Understanding of research proven instructional strategies.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and the capability to embrace change.
- Strong systems orientation, teamwork, and commitment to follow-through.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Early Childhood Education and or related field.
- Meet the competencies outlined for Early Childhood Educators and Administrators outlined by the Colorado Office of Early Childhood Education through the Department of Human Services. Director Qualifications 7.702.52
- At least 5 years of professional experience, with at least 2 years experience as a preschool Director/leader with a proven track-record of success
- Familiarity with Google Apps for Education
- Demonstrated experience in effectively solving challenging problems through a positive, collaborative approach
- Demonstrated experience in professional staff development resulting in improved student outcomes
- Master’s Degree or higher in Educational Leadership, Early Childhood Education or related field.
- At least 8 years of professional experience, with at least 5 years experience as a preschool Director/leader with a proven track-record of success
- Demonstrated success leading strategic educational initiatives that result in measurable improvements in student achievement
- Experience and knowledge of budget preparation and management in alignment with strategic priorities
Supervision Received and Exercised
The Flagstaff Academy Preschool Director reports to the Executive Principal. The Preschool Director will have supervisory oversight for the preschool teacher, preschool assistant teacher, and wraparound staff.
About Flagstaff Academy Charter School
Flagstaff Academy has gained a regional reputation for academic excellence and innovation, with a focus on science and technology. Flagstaff Academy consistently outperforms students in the State of Colorado and the surrounding school districts. Our preschool was the only Level 5 rated preschool in the Colorado Shines program in Boulder County. Our preschool also includes music, nutrition, greenhouse, and Spanish components. The educational philosophies center on Core Knowledge while supporting national and state standards and contextual teaching/learning. In 2019, Flagstaff Academy’s middle school was the first public charter school to be named a Colorado Trailblazer and National School to Watch. Flagstaff Academy’s Special Education Department has been recognized as an Exceptional Charter School by the National Association of Special Education Teachers for the last three years. Our curriculum leverages ability grouping and encompasses problem based learning, collaborative/cooperative learning, project based learning, and work based learning. Flagstaff Academy cultivates a strong school culture centered around Core Virtues and Restorative Principles. We boast a qualified staff and low turnover of our professional faculty. Our students go on to the highest echelon of public and private high schools in the area.
Flagstaff Academy’s mission supporting science and technology is visible throughout the building. Every classroom has a 70” interactive touchscreen display that connects students to rich Core Knowledge content. The middle school is a 1:1 Google Chromebook program where every student in middle school is issued a Chromebook to take home throughout their Flagstaff Academy career, and 4th-5th grade students have an assigned device at school. In addition, Flagstaff Academy has over 320 additional Chromebooks for use throughout the school to enable any classroom to become an instant computer lab when needed. Flagstaff Academy’s K-8 technology program includes computer literacy, engineering, robotics, cybersecurity, and computer programming. Flagstaff Academy has a dedicated elementary science lab that supplements the Core Knowledge sequence. The middle school science program hosts robust science electives such as Advanced Labs, Forensics, Mythbusters, and Food Science. Our students routinely place highly at the Corden-Pharma Regional STEM Fair.
Employees, volunteers, and consultants at Flagstaff Academy work together to fulfill the Flagstaff Academy Mission, and are expected to follow all Flagstaff Academy policies and procedures. The following description provides an overview of the responsibilities and accountability for this position. Flagstaff Academy employs professionals with a strong commitment to educational excellence, creating a fulfilling and caring environment which contributes to successful outcomes for our students.
What You Should Know:
The work environment described here is representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This is a management position that may require some work on evenings and weekends. This is a position that must attend the needs of staff, administrators, Flagstaff Academy Board of Directors, and parents.
This is a full time, exempt position located in Longmont, Colorado. A highly competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience, will be provided to the successful candidate.
Flagstaff Academy is an equal opportunity employer.
What We Can Offer:
- Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with skills and experience.
- Salary Range- $55,000-65,000 based on qualifications and experience.
- Flagstaff Academy offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, disability, life insurance, and paid time off. Flagstaff Academy offers free child care for staff with students at Flagstaff Academy for before/after school and all professional development days.
- Flagstaff Academy offers an unmatched employee appreciation program throughout the school year.
- A dynamic leadership role in one of the state’s leading charter schools situated in beautiful Boulder County, Colorado.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an exemplary educator and school leader. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a resume by attachment.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, responsibilities
or qualifications associated with the job. Flagstaff Academy reserves the right to modify any descriptions contained herein provided such changes are publicly posted and disclosed to all applicants.