Principal or Vice Principal Principal
Reports to: Chris Terrill, Executive Director, Crosstown High
Application Deadline: February 1, 2019
Start Date: Summer 2019
PRINCIPAL, CROSSTOWN HIGH
Do you want to be the person who reinvents the delivery of high school education for the next 100 years? Do you want to radically change a community? If you are up to the challenge, this may be the school for you. Crosstown High is located in Memphis, TN. Before you apply, learn something about the rich history of Memphis. Study Elvis, The Levitt Shell, Aretha Franklin, BB King. Study Martin Luther King Jr.’s last days and final words. Find out the difference between Central BBQ and The Rendezvous. Take a minute to explore the ecological issues of the Mississippi River Delta and deepen your understanding of the pervasive poverty that has gripped the region. Discover what the phrase “Grit and Grind” means to the city and where it came from.
If you are a bold risk taker who has the drive to innovate, innovate, innovate, or if you are an education rock star looking for a band, this may be your place. If you maintain JOY even in difficult situations, Crosstown may be for you. If you are a servant leader Principal, Crosstown High might be your calling.
Crosstown High (XTH) is an innovative public charter high school that opened in August 2018 in Memphis’ city center. XTH is strategically and intentionally located in Crosstown Concourse, a $200 million, 1.1 million square foot “vertical urban village” that houses retail and commercial tenants, restaurants and residential apartments. XTH students leverage the assets of this redevelopment effort through hands-on partnerships and academic projects with participating Crosstown Concourse nonprofit and for-profit organizations that span health care, education, and the arts, to name a few.
The idea for XTH was born from an application to the XQ Super School Challenge submitted by a cross section of Memphis volunteers (young people, parents, educators and community members). XQ invited teams to reimagine how high schools can better prepare students for college, the workplace and life. Crosstown was successful in the Super School Challenge, receiving funding and support for 5 years. This opportunity has taken us to a national stage, with amazing opportunities to learn and grow with the best minds in education reform.
XTH’s approach to education is unique in a number of ways:
- Location: The school’s location in Crosstown Concourse provides students with the opportunity to build rich and ongoing relationships with each other and the Crosstown Concourse community.
- Curriculum: Our curriculum is project-based, which will provide students with real-world connections to what they are learning in school. Students will also have the autonomy to direct their course of study, allowing them to pursue academic work and projects that inspire them. Twelve competencies drive teaching and learning.
- Diversity by Design – XTH recruits its students from a diverse cross-section of the city to ensure that a broad range of students can take advantage of all of the opportunities this school will offer.
- Student-Centered Approach: Students, parents, administrators, and teachers believe that a standard approach to discipline is often ineffective. We practice a restorative approach designed to correct behaviors that fall outside of community norms, while restoring students to our inclusive community.
Roles and responsibilities
XTH’s Principal has the following responsibilities:
- Build and lead a dynamic team of teachers. We seek a master teacher and an inspirational instructional leader and coach with a servant’s heart and enthusiastic spirit from whom our staff will learn. Our Principal will recruit teachers in and outside of Memphis who are prepared to lead and are passionate about XTH’s ambitious plans to reimagine high school.
- Help develop a ground–breaking curriculum: We promise our students a rigorous, personalized education that allows them to do project-based work that is relevant to their lives and communities, allows them to pursue their unique passions, and nurtures their strengths. We also promise that they will be prepared for successful college and professional careers. It’s a tall order. Our Principal will work with the Executive Director and community stakeholders to make it happen.
- Foster a healthy school culture: Great schools make learning fun, help students grow, and foster deeper understanding and connections. Our Principal will foster a culture of transformational teaching and learning that extends beyond the traditional school walls.
- Believe in the potential and promise of every kid. XTH is a uniquely diverse learning environment in Memphis and that means that students come to us with different strengths and challenges. They learn best in different ways and not at a lock step pace. They have wildly varying interests and passions. Our Principal will pull out all the stops to provide our students with the personalized instruction and support they need to thrive as individuals.
- Never stop learning. We have learned a lot in the process of rethinking what high school should be like. But we know that our model is not future-proof. We are committed to continuous improvement and our Principal will set an example for our students as a constant learner.
The strongest candidates will have the following skills and experiences:
- A belief in, and commitment to, the goals, mission and academic approach of XTH
- A Master’s degree, with at least (3) years of school leadership experience as head of a division or school, or principal at a charter, traditional public or independent school
- Teaching experience in upper middle school or high school — experience teaching in a school with a diverse or low income/high-needs student population is a plus
- Success managing and coaching teachers, and experience building strong school and team cultures
- Demonstrated success in developing, implementing and evaluating a non-traditional instructional curriculum
- Experience hiring and coaching a diverse teaching staff
- Partnered with or led an ambitious effort from the ground up; thrives in environments that are constantly changing and comfortable with ambiguity
- Highly organized, with an orientation toward detail and planning
- Familiarity with Memphis education landscape is a plus
Salary and benefits
XTH offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. The salary range is $90,000 – $115,000 and includes subsidized health insurance benefits, state retirement participation, a moving allowance, and optional 401K plan, vision, and dental insurance.
If your experiences and passion make you a great fit for the role, please apply here: email@example.com. Include a resume, an engaging cover letter, and a 60-second homemade video telling us who you are, and why you are unique. It can be serious, goofy, or sad…but it shouldn’t be boring. Feel free to call with questions.
Chris Terrill, Executive Director
Crosstown High is an equal opportunity employer and actively invites a diversity of candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion.
How to ApplyTo apply If your experiences and passion make you a great fit for the role, please apply here: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a resume, an engaging cover letter, and a 60-second homemade video telling us who you are, and why you are unique. It can be serious, goofy, or sad...but it shouldn’t be boring. Feel free to call with questions. Chris Terrill, Executive Director Crosstown High Chris@crosstownhigh.org 901.240.5939 Crosstown High is an equal opportunity employer and actively invites a diversity of candidates regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion.
445 total views, 3 today