Principal or Vice Principal Principal
Job Title: K-8 Principal
Classification: FT/Salary Exempt
Reports To: AXL Academy Executive Director
Salary Range: $85,000-95,000
- Medical benefits
- Vision insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- PERA retirement benefits
- Paid time off
- Paid sick leave
About AXL Academy
Aurora Expeditionary Learning (AXL) Academy is a PK-8 Expeditionary Learning Charter Public School located in Aurora, Colorado. Founded in 2008, AXL strives to deliver academic achievement, character development and social equity by using an active instructional model and a strong school culture. AXL meets scholars where they are to engage, empower and help all scholars achieve. For more information, please visit www.axlacademy.org.
The AXL K-8 Principal will be responsible for student achievement through instructional programming, staff support and supervision, maintaining systems, scheduling, and accomplishing school wide goals. This position supervises and evaluates staff in addition to ensuring scholar success with K-8 discipline in a proactive and restorative manner. A successful person in this position will develop and maintain healthy relationships with scholars, staff and families. This position is within the AXL Academy Administration which participates in the hiring process in alignment with the mission and vision.
Position Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Professional demeanor to be approachable, respectful and kind
- Open-minded and maintain a neutral stance regarding conflict
- Ability to navigate and conduct conversations of varying levels of difficulty
- Data driven decision maker
- Ability to manage and support macro leadership with micro, detail-oriented skill
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple scenarios and activities throughout a day.
- Support a culture of excellence, teamwork and collaboration amongst the staff, teachers, scholars and families.
- Support organizational goals consistent with the vision, mission and strategic plan set forth by the Board of Directors and Executive Director.
- Maintain active involvement in the school unified improvement plan (UIP) in collaboration with the Instructional Leadership Team (ILT).
- Foster a school climate that supports both scholar and staff success in alignment with the code of character.
- Oversee all programs, services, and activities to ensure that program objectives are met.
- Ensure the safety and security of all scholars, staff, visitors and families.
- Ensure an orderly learning environment.
- Ensure appropriate standards of scholar behavior, performance, attendance, and achievement.
- Supervise in a fair and consistent manner.
- Manage effective discipline and attendance systems with high standards, consistent with the code of character, vision, and mission of the school.
- Ensure a safe, orderly environment that encourages scholars to take responsibility for behavior and creates high morale for the AXL community.
- Ensure compliance of local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- File all required reports regarding attendance and discipline matters.
- Protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines.
- Manage, evaluate and develop teachers.
- Facilitate biweekly meetings of Instructional Leadership Team.
- Work with teachers to constantly assess and improve scholar achievement results.
- Ensure use of effective, research-based teaching methodologies and practices.
- Collaborate and work with instructional coach to implement data-driven instructional practices and lead discussions about scholar performance during PLCs.
- Collaborate with the instructional coach for PD cycles in alignment with school wide goals.
- Ensure high quality curricular training and resources to staff.
- Ensure consistencies in instruction and practice amongst teachers.
- Foster culture of professionalism among teachers and staff.
- Ensure coverage for teaching staff when needed by using the substitute system.
- Ensure learning environment and classroom instruction maximizes scholar learning.
- Monitor progress of all scholars.
- Make Data Driven Decisions.
- Supervise and mentor teachers.
- Lead and/or participate in school culture meetings as necessary.
Education, Licensing, Experience:
- Principal’s License
- Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership or related field
- Teaching and/or administrative experience in urban areas with marked success, and quantifiable and objective scholar performance gains that surpass state averages.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong commitment to the Mission and Vision of the school.
- Motivational and energetic leader who is committed to excellence.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with a diversity of people.
- Practice and positive belief in restorative behavioral practices within education
- Knowledge of Colorado Academic Standards.
- Ability to identify and promote effective instructional practices.
- Analytical problem-solver and solutions-oriented strategic thinker who has overcome difficult organizational challenges.
- Uses effective interpersonal skills including tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Meets schedules and deadlines with minimal follow-up.
- Strong knowledge of and passion for data-driven behavior management systems.
- Energy and entrepreneurial spirit for an expeditionary learning charter school.
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail driven work style with excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, delegate and lead by example.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to thrive in a diverse, intellectually challenging, fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Fluency with technology (Email, spreadsheets, infinite campus, Google suite, etc.)
This description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.Equal Opportunity Employer
AXL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. AXLs ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, gender, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability. Any individual needing assistance with this application should contact the Human Resources Department.