Operations / Administration Program Coordinator (Full Time, Hybrid)
About Read Ahead
Read Ahead is dedicated to helping New York City youth strengthen the literacy and social-emotional skills they need to thrive in school and beyond.
Since 1991, Read Ahead has connected public elementary school students with caring mentors from leading corporate and community partners. During weekly sessions, mentors and mentees read together, discuss books and their lives, and engage in fun and educational games and activities. Read Ahead sessions are designed to help children grow their confidence, love of reading, literacy skills, and other skills essential for success.
In 2020, Read Ahead developed a completely virtual program to provide essential support during a challenging year of remote and hybrid learning. Combining our 30 years of experience with new technology platforms and an educator-designed curriculum, Read Ahead continues to match children with supportive mentors for fun, live program sessions that build connection, confidence, literacy skills, and more.
With the development of our new virtual program, and anti-racism and anti-oppression commitments (https://readahead.org/anti-oppression-commitments-oct2020/), Read Ahead has an opportunity to deepen our impact for students. We are committed to ongoing improvement as an organization, and are eager to take bold new steps to create better outcomes for the students, families, and schools we serve.
Read Ahead expects each staff member to be an active and engaged collaborator in Read Ahead’s organization-wide efforts to advance DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging) goals including, but not limited to, participating in team meetings and ensuring that all project plans and outcomes are aligned with DEIB goals.
Read Ahead’s Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression Commitments are outlined here.
Read Ahead provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established by applicable law. We seek to build a diverse staff representative of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Hybrid Work Policy
As an organization that partners with New York City public schools, afterschool service providers, families, corporate partners, and other stakeholders, Read Ahead recognizes that in-person work is required to achieve our mission moving forward. We have adopted a hybrid work policy to allow us to continue our work with students and schools as safely as possible.
The Program Coordinator will typically work up to 4 days/week in-person to perform essential job responsibilities, with a schedule determined by program needs and approved by their manager. Essential in-person responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Meetings with Read Ahead staff and external stakeholders (e.g. bi-weekly staff meetings, bi-weekly program team meetings, quarterly school leadership and after school partner meetings, etc.)
- School recruitment and engagement events (e.g. Annual family nights at partner schools, PTA meetings or caregiver orientation workshops)
- Lead in-person weekly program sessions working in partnership with key school and/or after school staff to ensure technology is set up for virtual program
- Fundraising and donor cultivation events and event preparation (e.g. Read Ahead’s annual gala)
- Program, operations, and event support during key times of the year
In addition to the essential in-person job responsibilities described above, this role also includes other essential functions which may be performed remotely. A list of responsibilities is included below, and are subject to change based on organizational need.
As a part of an effective and dedicated program team, the Program Coordinator is responsible for the management of Read Ahead at their assigned school(s)/program(s). They act as an ambassador of Read Ahead and engage regularly with mentees, parents and caregivers, volunteer mentors, and school staff. The Program Coordinator is responsible for ensuring that the program runs smoothly, that mentors and mentees are supported throughout their mentoring experience, and that program goals are met. The Program Coordinator is responsible for critical administrative and logistical tasks, including scheduling, tracking attendance, and database entry.
As part of a dynamic and evolving program team, the Program Coordinator will support with building out an improved literacy program that engages even more deeply with students, caregivers, schools, and mentors. As we focus on deepening the impact of our literacy engagement with students, Read Ahead may expand its current program offerings beyond our current volunteer model. Program Coordinators will participate in initiatives that further deepen the impact of Read Ahead’s unique approach to using literacy as a means of social change.
This position reports to the Director, Program & Impact on the Read Ahead program team.
The ideal candidate is a flexible, proactive problem-solver with excellent relationship-building (especially with families), organizational, and communication skills. The role is a great fit for an individual who has an understanding of the New York City public school system and the communities we serve. This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about children, mentoring, reading, and/or volunteerism. Experience with using technology and a comfort and interest in learning new technology is a plus. Completion of a satisfactory criminal background check and DOE fingerprinting is required.
The Program Coordinator schedule will be based on the program sessions of each school partner and the schedule will remain consistent for the duration of the school year. At P.S. 67, the regular PC schedule will be a Monday – Friday schedule when the program is in session during the school year.
School Partner: P.S. 67 The Charles A. Dorsey Community School
- Facilitate, coordinate, and monitor 10-15 weekly in-person Read Ahead sessions on Zoom with up to 25 participants
- Communicate effectively and regularly with key stakeholders, including parents/caregivers, volunteer mentors, and teachers/school staff
- Manage program technology and provide in-person assistance to participants (i.e., Zoom and online reading platforms)
- Manage and support ~160 – 200 volunteer mentors, including ongoing communication
- Support ~100 mentees in grades 1-5 in their mentoring experience
- Provide ongoing support to mentors and mentees, including formal check-ins
- Facilitate additional BookNook small group sessions for a target group of mentees during the school year
Program Quality Management
- Conduct tasks that ensure a high-quality program, including attendance data tracking and entering program status updates on Read Ahead’s Live Impact database
- Review and approve mentor applications and support mentors through onboarding process
- Support the creation of session materials for programs, as well as supporting curriculum development, improvements, and redesigns by the Program Team
- Engage with school staff and families to share information about 2022-23 program and encourage student enrollment, including communicating with school leadership and liaisons, answering caregiver questions, supporting with completion of permission forms
- Conduct site visits to support stakeholders including teachers, after school providers, students and families
- Support and execute new family engagement initiatives to build relationships with families
- Lead in-person family orientations at school site to ensure family engagement is prioritized during the mentee onboarding process
- Conduct a bi-monthly check-in call with caregivers to provide support and update on progress of Read Ahead program including mentee attendance, reading progress, and general mentor-mentee relationship updates
- Support all other initiatives that foster greater engagement of parents and caregivers, as determined by the Senior Director, Program & Impact
Administrative Tasks and Other Stakeholder Engagement
- Enter and track daily program data in Read Ahead’s database in a timely manner with attention to detail/accuracy
- Coordinate the scheduling of and reminders for mentors and mentees for your program sessions
- Support with distribution of annual stakeholder surveys including school surveys, mentor surveys and caregiver surveys
- Support organization-wide communications by periodically contributing to Read Ahead’s general newsletter, social media, blog, or other stakeholder engagement initiatives
- Actively participate in team meetings, learning initiatives, and professional development
- Ensure the inclusion of DEIB initiatives into mentor onboarding, training, and ongoing management
- Support all key DEIB initiatives and new team culture practices
- Passion for Read Ahead’s mission
- Demonstrated understanding of the connection between literacy, child development, and social justice
- A demonstrated commitment to an anti-racism and equity lens in their work and communications (internal and external)
- Experience working with kids and their parents/caregivers, and a positive, growth-mindset approach to supporting children
- Experience with, or a strong interest in, volunteer management
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage time and deadlines effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with technology, and an openness to learning and using new tools (e.g., email, video conferencing, cloud-based file management, and project management tools)
- High level of attention to detail
- Team player and contributor
- Ability to work and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Interest in hybrid work with the ability to lead and monitor weekly mentoring sessions
Summary of Compensation and Benefits
Salary & Benefits
$60,000/year. Competitive benefits package includes:
- 90% health and 100% dental care coverage
- $3,000 annual employer-funded HRA
- Eligibility to contribute to 403(b) with up to a 3% match by Read Ahead for all employees who are employed on the last day of the calendar year (e.g. 12/31/2022)
- Eligibility to participate in pre-tax My Commuter Plan program
- Pre-tax FSA and Vision Plans offered
- Vacation day accrual based upon employment anniversary date; during the first year employees accrue 15 days per year and after the first year accrue 20 days per year
- 10 sick days and 3 personal days per year
- The Read Ahead office is closed between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day each year, and for all federal holidays