Teacher Secondary Spanish
Do you think like we do?
Are you a trailblazer, observer, visionary, and innovator ready to discover learning with purpose alongside a team of students? We are. And we are looking for creative, curious, student-centered educators to join our team. We believe in place-based education that shifts learning out of the traditional classroom setting and puts kids into the community ready to share their unique genius to be positive change-makers in the world.
We opened in August 2018, serving a diverse population of 150 students in grades 6-10 from around Fort Collins. We will grow to include 200 students in grades 6-12 over the next two years. Employing a transdisciplinary, venture project-based curriculum with support from our national educational partners, Big Picture Learning and No Barriers Youth, we inspire thoughtful and creative problem-solvers who aspire to live with integrity and compassion. We explicitly teach and help them practice the skills that will help them thrive in a rapidly changing world. Our entrepreneurial teaching methods prepare students to think deeply, design creatively, and iterate mindfully while achieving at the highest academic levels. Compass Community Collaborative is dedicated to personalized, competency-based learning to help all students discover learning with purpose, to author the best story of their lives and our collective future.
What does it mean to be a Spanish teacher at Compass?
Compass is looking for a Spanish teacher who is ready to collaborate across disciplines to show students that being able to speak, understand, and read and write in Spanish opens doors to cultural understanding and professional opportunities. We are looking for a teacher who is not afraid to ask students to grapple with the complexity of our world through an empathetic lens that the study of a second language inspires. This teacher understands their responsibility to help students demonstrate their thinking and questions with skills of reading, speaking, and writing in Spanish. In terms of logistics, the right person for this job will be thrilled to teach daily an Advisory, and three levels of Spanish (I, II, and III) throughout the year in three, one-hour long classes that meet each weekday except Wednesdays.
- Your day will be done by 1:20p on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- All teachers at Compass are advisors and are responsible for an advisory class in which social-emotional learning, school culture development, and career exploration are explicitly taught and practiced.
- On Wednesday mornings, you will join us for our weekly staff meeting at 7:30a, and then after Advisory, you will be available for working with students during Academic Support period and then offering a fun, hands-on application of Spanish during a signup seminar. Your day will be done by noon on Wednesdays.
- Demonstrate a strong belief in the Compass core values (Love, Community, Equity & Integration, Entrepreneurship, Cultural Diversity).
- Encourage a culture of mutual respect and equitable practice.
- Exhibit knowledge of student cognitive development, social-emotional learning, and various learning style preferences.
- Demonstrate a growth-mindset in their professional responsibilities and encourages the same growth-mindset in their work with students.
- Communicate regularly with students, families and community members collaborating on projects.
- Collaborate effectively with team members to teach and learn with students and community partners.
- Love learning and demonstrates this with courage and commitment to continual growth and development as a teacher, a human, and a team member.
Professional Qualifications & Responsibilities
- Licensed to teach Spanish in the state of Colorado
- Committed to continual research and learning.
- Facilitates student learning utilizing community-engaged, project-based learning strategies and methodology
- Manages and differentiates learning with multi-age student groups
- Actively engages students in learning opportunities while emphasizing “voice and choice”
- Models and maintains high academic and social-emotional/behavior expectations
- Utilizes backward design model to create and align lessons, activities, and assessments
- Designs formal and informal assessments that measure student progress and growth
- Scaffolds instructional activities that facilitate engaging and appropriate learning opportunities
- Engages in professional development opportunities related to ongoing responsibilities
- Provides regular and timely feedback to students on their learning and growth
- Seeks growth and development in areas of social-emotional skills and effective communication skills. This includes seeking out and incorporating constructive feedback for improvement and providing this same level of reflective feedback to peers.
- Collaborates with team to regularly showcase student work in the Compass building as well as the surrounding community
Compass Community Collaborative is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. CCC does not discriminate against workers or job applicants and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, ancestry, actual or perceived sexual orientation, or veteran status, including disabled veterans.
What do we provide?
- A shared value that social-emotional learning alongside critical thinking and problem-solving cultivates an environment where all people thrive.
- A chance to positively impact students, their families, our city, and the world by being part of our mission to positively impact education and equity.
- Collaborative, not competitive working relationships. Being a CCCS teacher will help you achieve your individual professional goals while meaningfully contributing to the overall profession.
- A competitive salary and PERA retirement contribution. The salary range for this position is $20,000- $23,000 depending on experience and qualifications. In addition, we will contribute 20.15% of your salary toward PERA, the state issued retirement plan.